Feature Article on Skylar from USA Basketball
by dillon77 (2019-10-11 09:03:53)
Edited on 2019-10-11 09:04:57

I was on the USA Basketball site the other day and came across a feature that dropped in mid-September. Don't remember seeing it on The Bench, so thought I'd put a link in (below).

As has been posted, Skylar will join seven other athletes from the USA National Team player pool as they embark on a new increased training plan leading up to the Olympic Games (including Diana Taurasi, Sue Bird, Elena Della Donne and other WNBA players that are not playing overseas).

USA Basketball is doing features on all of them since they'll be featured in the run up to National Team exhibitions, tryouts and ultimate selection.

Article covers everything from her growing up and choosing ND, her career with the Irish and her rather extensive tours of duty with USA Basketball. I forgot she was on the very first USA 3x3 team.

Make no doubt, Sky is looking forward to the Olympics:
"Playing in the Olympic Games is the ultimate international dream for Diggins-Smith, ideally as soon as next year.

“I know my biggest goal is doing that in Tokyo,” she said"

There was also an interesting tid-bit on her future:

"Now 29 years old, she plans to play in the WNBA for many more seasons — as Sue Bird often says, “40 is the new 30” — and then perhaps continue in the game, either as a college coach or broadcaster.

“I just want to have fun and I think different opportunities are going to pop up,” she said. “I think it’s just taking it day by day and just seeing what I love and what’s in the game. I want to stay close to it, but I have other things that I’m passionate about.”

So, is there a possibility of seeing Sky on the sidelines? Possibly. But she could be behind a broadcaster's booth or running a sports fashion company.