Doesn't Look Any Better The Morning After & Other Thoughts
by dillon77 (2020-02-14 09:03:35)
Edited on 2020-02-14 12:33:01

I've got a link to the last play. Due to my Sling connection faltering, I missed the play last night, so I immediately looked at the vitual scoreboad to see we lost (by one) and then read the initial comments. Glad I didn't see it live...my television might be in many pieces.

Play does not look better upon next-day viewings. I feel like the kid they show in the linked video after the play worked: eyes wide open, but my mouth is not smiling. A few thoughts:

- Definite Isolation Play. Guy sets a faux screen for Makayla Dickens, then spins out of it. Destinee Walker follows Dickens (#10), then realizes -- oops, too late -- what's happening and starts to backpedal into the lane. Possible double team negated right there. Sam would've never had a chance to get down from the arc.

- Therefore, agree with everyone The inbounder had an unencumbered view of the pass she wanted to make and how to make it. Having a tall person bounding in front of her would've -- at the very least -- made the concentration (and perhaps delivery) -- a bit tougher.

Irony is that Ms. Baer was just featured in a pre-game article and said she could bring jumping and blocking to the picture. Uggh. And Danielle is 6'4".

- Possible Nit. Although I can't find definite support for this, I'm pretty sure Emma Goy is a lefty. Now Mik gets fooled by the Guy spin move and she spins outward, allowing Guy to catch with her inner (and strong) hand. (Nice strong bank shot, btw.)

That said, heck of a play and bravura execution for BC. Guy is tough. For a kid who wasn't rated in ESPN's top players coming out of high school, she's had a good career.

Hard to harp on one play, but the way both teams were playing it came down to one play. Look at the stat sheet (ok, don't ruin your day...I'll do it for you).

- Both teams shot under 33%: ND was 21-64 and BC 20-64. ND actually shot a respectable 4-9 from 3-pt range. BC was 2-22!!

- ND had a horrible 22 turnovers (Sniezek had 7, Gilbert 6) but get this, BC had 27. Points from turnovers were pretty equal (ND 17, BC 18)

- Both teams had 11 steals and second chance points were pretty equal (15 for ND, 16 for BC).

One big differentiator was that BC got 16 points off the bendch, 13 from Georgia Pineau, who used to be a starter.

- I thought the lack of a bench was apparent today. A number of players were just having tough games. It happens. In past years, MM would just take them out and put in a sub. If the sub got hot, great. While Danielle and Katie gave valiant efforts on defense (and they did), Katie only scored once and Dainielle didn't. It's hard to win playing 3 on 5 on offense.

- I used to think that Kaitlyn just internalized everything but I'm wondering is she gets frustrated, particularly when her drives aren't falling and/or not getting any calls. She looked very frustrated after missing some drives and a number of BC's weak-side rebounds were off her side. (it wasn't just Danielle getting beat). This isn't to beat up on her, but MM has to keep her top-line players in even if they're off.

Thinking ahead to off season:

- Got to work with Kaitlyn, in particular, as well as Anaya in finishing those layups. And on drawing contact. Ironically, Marta gets more calls of layup attempts. Maybe the shoulder injury makes her pull back from contact?

- I get why the coaching staff thought having Mik at the top of the key was a good idea: surround her with four shooters. In particular, let Sam face the basket.

But it takes Mik out of her primary sweet spot for scoring, which is down low. And it also lessens her ability to get offensive rebounds or at least disrupt the opposition. (Kinda like Bri.)

I thought this would've been a place for Sam, but apparently not. If not SB, maybe Maddy can slip into the spot her sister played oh so well (and importantly).

Lastly, get the da#m ball! Even the commentators mentioned that they thought BC wanted the ball more in the first half. We did right the ship in the 2nd, but this group of players has to get a nose for the ball. If they're not naturally aggressive, rely on technique: boxing out, hip checks, etc. Credit where credit is due -- Marta flies all over the court and Sam looks exhausted by the end of every game. The team misses Anaya's ability to muck it up inside and really misses Abby's take no prisoners approach on, well, everything.

Maybe ballhawk Alasia and Maddy Westbeld will help on that front.

Well, filling my juice cup up to half full again, let's hope everyone can learn from this one....stay tuned.

At least they won’t lose that way again for 3 more years
by btd  (2020-02-14 17:54:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The freshman (and KG) will remember that play the rest of the time they are at ND. Winning is better than losing, but this loss means close to nothing this year.

Layups...

It is 99.9% technique for our guards. They flat out use invalid technique nearly every single drive they make to the basket. They shoot underhanded scoop shots for layups. Sometimes they should a variation that’s a baby hook off the scoop. What they are supposed to be doing is bringing by the ball all the way up over their head with the inside hand protecting the ball until the very end. When they actually release that way they oddly enough make nearly every shot. When they don’t they miss over 50% - even when totally uncontested for a layup.

Gilbert actually hit the bottom of the backboard on a layup at GT - that’s how bad she is at times shooting an underhanded scoop shot on lap ups.

This technique stems from 1) bad habits being allowed to continue sans a coach in their face, and 2) likely started when they were shorter and were getting shots blocked. They aren’t shorter now and they are also strong enough now to use proper technique.

They would get fouled more with proper technique too - because that inside arm would get hit by defenders. Instead we use the bad technique to keep the shooting arm away from contact (much like Rex does with the same bad results on they men’s team).

re: KG & missed layups, Do you think shoulder injuries
by Jon  (2020-02-14 12:59:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

affect ones mentality when finishing around people? Kind of like knee injuries and confidence in putting weight down.

It Could....
by dillon77  (2020-02-14 14:35:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...the thought hit me a few games when I saw her short arm a layup and avoid contact.

In all the tapes of Gilbert I watched when Kaitlyn was in HS or on AAU teams, she was a very strong finisher with her layups. Granted, the competition is uniformly (much0 better, but I'm a little surprised the (lack of) finishing.

As my coach used to say on layups and putbacks..."you don't have to be so fine, just get to the line."

It’s all the guards
by btd  (2020-02-14 18:04:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you watch them all closely you will are they are using underhanded scoop shots for layups. Walker, Gilbert, etc.

I don’t know what they did in high school - but it’s a technique issue. My sister was a 5’4” AA point guard (turned down ND in early 80’s). She first pointed it out to me and it drives her insane watching ND - and it has been an issue for a long time with many different players. It is something that for whatever reason MM doesn’t seem to attempt to change. My sister had that baby hook variation too because it was a way to get the ball ober 6’2” forwards that had 10” on her. But - she very much used proper technique on all shots other than very overt ones contested by giants. Oddly, she averaged over 10 FT per game In High school (and over 20 ppg). As stated by you above and in my other post - proper technique would draw more fouls too.

I think they got away with it more in high school due to weaker competition and thus likely calmer while shooting with the same bad technique for layups.

It’s why Mk makes her layups at a much higher rate. The ball is released using proper technique for her.

At one point in the GT game I counted 6 straight misses using bad technique. Each guard occasionally shoots layups correctly - so there is room to force change to happen if someone tried.

It seemed to me that Guy pushed Mik a bit to
by Homeboy73  (2020-02-14 12:24:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

get open. Maybe I am wrong.

On the last play..
by TWO  (2020-02-14 12:20:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

all comments about the ND defense or lack there of aside...the BC player still had to make a great pass and hit her player perfectly...so kudo's to her for excellent execution.

Thanks for the postmortem
by RISteve  (2020-02-14 11:07:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nice recap, just very painful

Anyone find or see/hear a MM presser, post game comments, etc? I am interested to hear her thoughts. Thanks.

God bless ACCNX
by DavidAddison  (2020-02-14 10:49:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have no way of accessing it, so I rarely can watch an ND WBB game.

I don't think I ever want to see a replay of the final 1-point-whatever seconds. Would hurt too much.

why don't you just sign up for youtube tv
by MukIrish  (2020-02-14 13:02:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

$50/month. 70 live channels including ACCN. Plus you can use your login to get ESPN3 games - and will be able to see all the ACCN and ACCNX live. you should have to suffer with the rest of us that watch.

Already burned my free trial earlier in the season
by DavidAddison  (2020-02-14 16:43:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And, long story, I can access ACCN via UVerse app but that doesn’t cover ACCNX.

Can’t justify $50/month solely for X.

"How R.C. of You!" as Ann Marie Jenkins...
by dillon77  (2020-02-14 14:29:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..who used to clean our Parish Sacristy would say. She's also chuckle and say, "misery loves company."

We've eaten/seen the great restaurants. Time for a run at the bad bars. We'll get back. (Those are my druthers, not Ann Marie's)

Go Irish!

A turnover that loomed huge was the one at the end
by maverick  (2020-02-14 09:50:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of the 3rd Quarter with 4.2 seconds left & us holding for the last shot. I believe a foul was called on Vaughn, BC inbounds goes the length of the court with a couple of passes & drains a 3 to further cut the lead. I understand why time outs are so important in womens Bball at the end of the game for the inbound at half court but geez I though Muffet waited way too long to use one on that BC run

Agree with You on the Timeouts...
by dillon77  (2020-02-14 10:14:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..particulary with an experience- and resouces-challeged team. A bit of a "let's breathe" moment would've helped.

And, yes, that three set the stage for BC's continued surge in the 4th.