Missed layups killed us.
by sixtythreer (2020-02-20 21:50:21)
Edited on 2020-02-22 12:00:56

In reply to: Ok, Gilbert was sick  posted by NDLAW88

A few other points:

1. NDLAW88 makes the point that "Mik was playing through something ...." The fact that she only played 21 minutes tends to confirm that.

2. Maverick makes a number of excellent points: (a) Passing up open shots; (b) when Cole and Marta don't shoot,"the opposition only has to guard 3 players;" (c) it's counterproductive to force the ball down low when the defense is packed in; worse, it leads to turnovers; Sam needed to shoot more in first half. Great points.

3. It's unlikely there will be post-season tournaments for us. Danielle yesterday had 7 points, 2 rebounds in 17 minutes. I have opined before that she needs to get between an opposing player and the basket, drop down and make herself big, and get her fanny into the person she's boxing out. Until she does, she's going to get 2 rebounds in 17 minutes.

That being said, we need to find out what she can do offensively. Her strength seems to be shooting the three, rather like Erin Boley. I'd like to see MM put her out on the floor and tell that she is to hunt her shot, and is expected to shoot no less than 3 threes per half. We need to find out if she can hit 35% of her threes. I would like to know if Danielle can play aggressively. I would love MM to tell her, that if she makes a mistake while aggressive, she'll stay on the floor. She'll get pulled only if she plays tentatively. Right now, she looks as if she's afraid to make a mistake.

Then this summer, I would work her fanny off, teaching her to rebound. I am not ready to give up on her. It took Kat Nelson awhile.

I would show her films of Kiltey's play last night, and tell her to do likewise. If she gets aggressive, I think she can really help us.

Replies: