Layup, Fast-Break Camp ...
by dillon77 (2020-02-21 10:25:40)

In reply to: Everything you wrote is true. Most of the blocks were the  posted by MPG

...should be an emphasis of summer sessions. I'm not being tongue in cheek or kidding. Most of what you, Doggie and btd bring up has been apparent to the board all season.

Everything fromt technique to repeition and decision-making (from the decision to drive to that of "to shoot or dish") needs to be reviewed.

Too bad Arike, Marine and Jackie will be playing in the WNBA. Maybe the Irish can get other excellent drive and/or dishers like Maddie Cable or Nasty to help out.

This catches my attention even more with the arrivals of Alli Campbell and Maddy Westbeld, two players with mid- to long-range jump shooting prowess. Campbell will be a natural at splitting to the wing, while Maddy will hopefully be trailing the play (after getting, ahem, the rebound to start the break).

While we're at this camp, with the new personnel, I suggest the Irish get back to having the player (usually the 4 or other forward) at the foul line/elbow/top of the key get the ball and turn and face the basket. I realize that Mik has certain traits, but the amount of time she spends wating for folks to cut off her and drive takes forever. And when she does turn, everyone knows her options are limited and they circle her.

With her jump shoting ability, Danielle should be turning and looking for that shot ASAP.

Aw, in reality, I'm hoping MM just puts Maddy Westbeld there and hope the subtle nature of the position has seeped into her by osmosis over the years!

Replies: