Next year's starting lineup
by NDLAW88 (2020-02-22 18:10:30)
Edited on 2020-02-22 18:12:59

As this year mercifully winds to a close, and thoughts of spring arise, it's time to look forward to the "Get your yuks in now" revenge tour next season and who will be leading the charge.

PG: with Muffet, the eternal point guard herself, it all begins with this position. Hayes or Gilbert? Had Gilbert been playing more point all season, I would lean her way. But given the way Muffet pursued Hayes over Deja Kelly, I'm guessing that Muffet is giving her the keys to the team much like she did Lindsey Allen years ago. Gilbert can slide over and play some point when needed.

SG: does Muffet go with 3 guards next season to start? Or 3 bigs? The answer to that question probably decides this one. I presume the first nod will go to Destinee Walker, although I would love to see her in a 6th man role for energy and scoring off the bench. If it is 3 guards, would Muffet lean toward Gilbert or Campbell? If Alli can shoot the 3 as advertised, I say go with Campbell. We will need the scoring and spacing consistent 3 point shooting provides.

Forward/Center: I hope we are looking at Sam and Maddie as two starters along with Anaya. It makes us smaller as a starting lineup but the three could share the rebounding burden between them and there would be a lot of offensive position versatility, especially between Sam and Maddie. Mik or Nat could start against certain teams - say to match up with UCONN or similar players. I think Mik needs to be in a limited role off the bench. Shorter, more intense minutes where she is free to play and doesn't conserve energy - I'm not sure she's built to handle the long haul of a season playing starter's minutes. If Nat can come in and contribute 15 minutes a game, it's likely Mik would start and have Nat and/or DC spell her, but I'm not sure that gives us the offense or the flow to the offense that we need.

Any positive contribution from Abdur Rahim would be a bonus.

With this projected lineup, we would have Gilbert to spot at the PG and SG spots, Alli Campbell (if she doesn't start) and Abby off the bench, and the potential of a solid rotation of bigs with Sam, Maddie, Mik, Nat, DC and Abdur Rahim. Peoples can slide between guard and forward as needed. If we were to land a grad transfer, presumably a big, that would only enhance the rotation and, depending on the player, possibly shake up the starting lineup.

I realize these projections lean heavily toward playing the incoming freshman more minutes and Muffet might be gun shy about doing that after this year. I just think that the overall depth we will have and the returning core of Sam, Anaya, Destinee and Mik would be enough of a difference from the current year to allow it to happen.

Thoughts?

Replies: