Questions/Druthers About the Lineup
by dillon77 (2020-02-23 09:23:37)
Edited on 2020-02-23 09:28:20

In reply to: Next year's starting lineup  posted by NDLAW88

I've been thinking about this during walks/jogs as well, but every time I did found myself asking a lot of questions or having to note conditionals ("...if this happens").

- First, overall team thought: MM keeps bringing up in her pressers that it usually comes down to "reounding and turnovers" with this current team. And she has reminded us that this team is going to be scoring in the 60's (without Anaya, make that the 50s).

So whatever line up is out there needs to address rebounding, not turn the ball over and shoot better. Particularly from long(er) range.

Second overall team point: MM likes consistency in her lineup. Don't think she'll mix and match starters. Anything could happen after the whistle.

By position:

POINT GUARD

- I think everyone is still trying to sort out (or forget) the s+*tstorm that hit before the early signing day in regards to PG. The alleged yo-yo nature of Caitlin Clark's recruiting, the flip-flopping of Deja Kelly's OV's to ND and NC and Haye's immediate commital stirred things up, for sure. It is what it is at this point, but I don't think Alasia is the second coming of LA. I think she's a talented combo guard who is currently a look-for-her-shot first PG who will have to take a step up to become a D1 PG.

- As such, I think there's got to be a job sharing until Alasia rounds into form and/or MM scores a major 2021 lead guard.

Who is that?

- Like NDLaw, one would've thought Katlyn Gilbert. Good enough handle; has second-most assists after Marta and has a decent mid-range jumper to keep defenses honest. On the other hand, I have not seen a "whole floor approach" from her in either transition or half-court. Could be orientation. Might not be.

- Anaya will do whatever she has to do to win. But she was our strongest rebounder prior to her injury (8.1 per game) and is tough inside, like Jackie Young. Are her talents better used elsewhere? Or does Abby's return fill the need for a tough defender, rebounder inside guard presence?

- (Yet Another) Grad Transfer to mentor/stem the tide. I'd recommend against this. Time to let the core part of this team figure it out amongst themselves and gain chemistry.

- A surprise: I'm well aware that MM has said that Alli Campbell would not be playing point and right now guard (particularly if ND goes three guards) would look like her position. But she is still the lead guard in HS and controls, well, everything. BBall IQ is supposedly off the charts and she can drain it from anywhere. Maybe a Mabrey redux?

GUARDS

- Will ND go three deep at guard? Or kind of hybrid it (I think Sam is such a stretch 4 she is, for all intensive purposes, a 3.)

- Destinee (.37 overall shooting, .26 from 3-pt. land), Katlyn (.37 and .21, respectively) have been inefficient. In the case of Destinee, streaky. Katlyn looks like she's wearing down.

Will they be better served with more peoples and playing less minutes? And a more efficient half-court set? Or, are they just not primo shooters?

- Anaya shot .46 overall, but only .13 on threes and was mostly inside. Need to see more range there.

- Abby's presence will add smarts, toughness, rebounding and defense. While she didn't shoot a lot as a frosh, the stroke wasn't bad. Don't see her as a starter, but do see her having a lot of minutes.

- Campbell. If she can shoot from outside consistently, start your happy dance. Can she play defense at this level? Probably best as a sub, unless PG situation is desparate (see above).

CENTER

- Is Mik OK? As many have pointed out, she seems to be laboring going up and down the court. Is this a remnant of the (latest) injury? Does she need an offseason to work on strength and quickness? I think this will determine a lot on playing time and where they play.

- How is Nat Marshall rehabbing? ACL's can take awhile (see Bri Turner). Will she be available? How available and at what degree of effectiveness?

- In any case, I would recommend keeping Mik down in the low post, like MM did with Brianna. I think she's more a finisher (witness the .57 FG %) more than a facilitator. Keep her close to the hoop.

...which leads to ...

FORWARD

- If Mik is not at the elbow, who is going to the hub of the offense? Well, I thought Sam would be that person but even in the Fordham game (before Mik's infury) she was positioned out further. Even after Mik went down, it was Danielle or Katie Cole. Sam is not the elbow.

- So, if you look at it from that perspective, that makes on think of Maddy Westbeld. Her game and pedigree would seem to underscore that match. And she can rebound and play with her head on her shoulders.

A PROJECTED LINE-UP (as of now, with option to changes depending on answers to above)

- PG: K. Gilbert (with Hayes spelling, hopefully)
- Off Guard: Anaya (with Destinee as sixth person. Could be flipped)
- "Small Forward": Sam Brunelle
- "Elbow" Forward: Maddy Westbeld
- Center: Mik Vaughn (Dani or Abdur Rahim to spell. Nat is ???)

Abby and Alli will spell everyone from guard to "small forward/wing"), depending on the need.

I think the key to all of this is that the team has to work more cohesively as a unit, both offensively and rebounding. That's one reason why I'm thinking Maddy is in there. She screams glue to me.

Replies: