I pretty much agree with your post. I think it is
by Fighting_Artichoke (2020-02-23 12:22:20)
Edited on 2020-02-23 14:51:40

In reply to: Questions/Druthers About the Lineup  posted by dillon77

unlikely for a freshman to start at Notre Dame, and even more unlikely for her to make a major contribution, so we cannot look for saviors in the freshman class. Look at the freshman who have started for Notre Dame in the Diggins and post Diggins era (the Irish dynasty, so to speak). Diggins started and was a major contributor, but she was a top 3 recruit and of course phenomenal. Jewell also started (4th ranked recruit) and was great on defense for a freshman, and she contributed on a solid team. Lindsay Allen also started as a freshman, moving into Diggins' slot on a loaded team. While "only" a 25th ranked recruit, Lindsay had extensive experience leading team USA and teams could not focus on her because of the stacked team. Brianna Turner (top 2 recruit) also started and contributed. She was healthy and it showed. (I always wonder what her career would have been like at Notre Dame if she had been plagued by injuries in her time under the Dome.)

So we have 4 freshman starting from the 2009-10 season until last season (2018-19): that's 10 seasons! I know why we had to start Sam this year, but she needed to be a focus, and didn't have the anonymity of the other freshman (though Diggins sure attracted attention). That has made Sam seem pedestrian at times, but Sam is an amazing shooter. We need her to get open looks, but this team has had SO MANY needs, that really none of them has been adequately addressed.

So back to the starters, by position:

PG: The big unknown. It will probably be point guard by committee, as I fear there is no one for this role. Alasia Hayes reminds me of Mychal Johnson. Muffet thought Mychal was going to come in and be a defensive stopper, and I think she may have finally realized that role in her senior season, but then that season was lost before it started (ACL) and she deferred her final year of eligibility. Alasia does not shoot that well, but what worries me more is her lack of command on the floor. Especially as a freshman, I do not see her as our PG next season. So the committee will be Gilbert et al. I do not see an obvious choice, so anyone who can reliably bring up the ball will get the majority of the time there and with the Princeton offense, it should be OK for a year. The advantage of Gilbert or another shooter in that role is that it keeps teams honest on offense, unlike this season. What about a grad transfer? Only if an amazing PG comes available.

Ok, I'm not going in order. Next is POST: Barring an injury, it has to be Mik. Posts always take time to develop and usually blossom in their junior campaign. If Mik is injury-free, I see a very strong season for her. She needs to work on her FT jumper so she can wonder out from down under to draw the other post out from under the basket. Then she can shoot the jumper or drive if the post comes out at her (she's adept at that) and when she's at the FT line a guard can post up or drive unimpeded (Anaya?). Subs are Abdur Rahim and possibly Danielle Cosgrove, as she has looked better lately.

FORWARD: Sam. She can defend a 4 but on offense, she will roam. She has a great stroke (and RANGE) from 3 but needs to not rush it. She also has a good mid-range and short jumper. So versatile offensively, and we need to get her quality looks. She will also work as a decoy to set up other people. She needs to be involved offensively, as she is our best weapon. Maddy Westbeld probably will not start, but I expect her to log a lot of minutes. She is similar to Kat in many ways, including her recruiting ranking and Kat logged 17 minutes/game her freshman year. She is more rugged than Kat and our team needs that, so I expect 20 minutes/game.

SG/WING: OK, it's 2 positions, but I'm covering them together, as they are really interchangeable the way ND plays. Peoples, Walker, Prohaska, and Campbell will log the most minutes (assuming Gilbert starts at PG).I love Abby's toughness and attention to detail. She will execute exactly the way Muffet wants her to, but she needs to shoot when the shot is available. I trust her passing, defense, court awareness, etc. I only doubt her athleticism/size and confidence in her shot. She could certainly start and be a major contributor.

Walker will only get better. The less attention she has on her, the more comfortable she gets in the Irish offense, the better she will be. I expect much better shooting percentages from her next season.

Peoples needs a better outside shot and of course she has an injured shoulder. Remind you of Brianna Turner, anyone? She needs to stay fearless and work on her shot. I love her defense and toughness.

Campbell won't start but will earn minutes by hitting the 3 and not being a liability on defense. Not picking on Alli, but defense is very tough for freshman. Alli is cerebral but will have a lot to learn.

I expect very little from Natalija Marshall next year. Sure, her ACL may be healed, but she still won't trust it right away, and she really doesn't play her size yet. She'll need to be dedicated in the weight room and I view her as a project (much like we should have viewed Danielle Cosgrove, who under normal circumstances, should not have played much until her junior year).

Replies: