ND WBB Recruitability ? - The Process Explained
by CharlesT (2020-02-24 23:08:58)
Edited on 2020-02-24 23:22:30

We often question why there aren’t more Top Ranked prospects @ND. Numerous questions about MM’s ability to “close the deal” or is the staff doing enough? There hasn’t been much talk about the NB WBB recruiting process.
Like it or not a ND student athlete isn’t necessarily going to be comparable to a UConn, Louisville, South Carolina, Oregon or any other top WBB program recruit (with the exception of a Stanford, Duke or Ivy).
So what is the process that ND utilizes? Based on an N of 6 recruits/players/former players/players families - this is what was learned:
- ND historically doesn’t offer a scholarship until after completion of a potential recruit’s HS Junior season. (Sorry to say that the two 2021 players who’s families have said MM/ND offered might have misinterpreted “we are interested in having you play at ND” as an offer).
- The process that the above mentioned recruiting sample explained is that until ND WBB requests academic transcripts, SAT/ACT test scores (hence waiting until 2nd semester of JR yr), submits those documents to ND Admissions and gets confirmation that the potential student athlete will qualify to attend ND - No official offer will be made.
I’m sure those of us who have followed ND WBB will recognize the pattern and the above to be accurate.

Now if we accept this premise; then we should realize that just because you can play bb doesn’t mean you can qualify to attend ND. Hence we hear statements from MM about “mutual interest and fit”. We also cannot forget that South Bend isn’t the easiest place to get to so a recruit’s family would need to value a ND education/experience/etc...So maybe we can cut MM some slack and recognize ND WBB is getting their fair share of academically talented high ability bb players to attend. Oh and also remember that in spite of these difficult parameters MM is a hall of fame coach with two national titles!

Ali Patberg committed to ND at the end of her sophomore
by MPG  (2020-02-25 10:42:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

year; Abby Prohaska, Alli Campbell, and Jenna Brown committed at the beginning of their junior years as did Erin Boley; Danielle Cosgrove committed during her junior season; a commitment from Skylar Diggins would have been welcomed during her junior year.

You are correct that no official offer will be made until admissions gives its guarantee of admission to ND; however that can be done as early as the end of sophomore year.

Kayla McBride and Diamond Thompson also committed to ND
by MPG  (2020-02-25 13:06:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

well before the end of their junior seasons.

Thx., Charles for the Summer and MPG for the Admission Input
by dillon77  (2020-02-25 10:47:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...I thought the ND process was dependent on admissions giving a sign-off on the respective candidate (much like Stanford).

Charles...you mentioned an "N"...is that an interview? A formal study? Would love to see the sum and substance of it (I just listened to the Muffet McGraw show to see if that was included. (nope).

Thanks again for the input. On a more transactional front, if you see MM or any other Irish staff in Indy starting in March, let us know!

The N refers to sample size= number of participants spoken w
by CharlesT  (2020-02-25 14:29:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So 6 families/players/recruits spoken with is necessarily statistically significant it was directional relevant. Though others have posted some names that may have committed earlier certainly the majority of recent and past recruits - see Nat Marshal, Gilbert, Peoples, Nixon etc...offers and commitments were announced in the Feb - Apr time frame of their Junior High School year. Usually right before Boo Williams EYBL tournament.

Thx. FWIW, Here Are Commitment Dates of 2019, 2020 ...
by dillon77  (2020-02-25 14:57:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...to put in one place, based on recruiting Reports:

Class of 2020:

- Alli Campbell. Sept. 13th, 2018 (beginning of junior year)
- Nat Marshall. April 17th, 2019 (spring semeser, junior year)
- Alasia Hayes. Sept. 30th, 2019 (fall semester, senior year)
- Maddy Westbeld. Oct. 20th, 2019 (fall semester, senior year. After her fifth and last OV...to ND)
- Amirah Abdur Rahim. Nov. 11, 2019 (fall semester, just before early signing period)

Other PG prospects (Caitln Clark, Deja Kelly) waited until last few days before announcing their destinations.

Class of 2019

- Anaya Peoples. Summer (I believe June) 2016. (Between sophomore and junior years)
- Sam Brunelle. April 2018. (Spring semester, Junior year. Offer came Fall 2017).

Charles & MPG can both be correct
by NDoggie78  (2020-02-27 09:35:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm sure any of the early offers and commitments were contingent on grades and test scores meeting qualifying standards. And I doubt Muffet would offer/accept anyone at an early date who was borderline. In other words, they were a pretty good student and not at a risk of not qualifying.

The N refers to sample size= number of participants spoken w
by CharlesT  (2020-02-25 13:56:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So 6 families/players/recruits spoken with is necessarily statistically significant it was directional relevant. Though others have posted some names that may have committed earlier certainly the majority of recent and past recruits - see Nat Marshal, Gilbert, Peoples, Nixon etc...offers and commitments were announced in the Feb - Apr time frame of their Junior High School year. Usually right before Boo Williams EYBL tournament.

Katlyn Gilbert committed to ND early in her junior year
by MPG  (2020-02-25 14:03:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and Anaya Peoples committed during the summer between her sophomore and junior years.

Thanks, CharlesT, MPG, and Dillon - interesting topic
by BabaGhanouj  (2020-02-25 11:46:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think the "N" in CharlesT's note stands for "number" (of recruits he followed for his summary post).

MPG, obviously, has issues with CharlesT's analysis. I assume MPG is correct and that a recruit can not commit unless an offer has been given. I question CharlesT's analysis. Sorry.

First of all I don't believe there is any "problem" with ND WBB recruiting. Each year depends on needs, but mainly on the individual student athletes graduating from high school. Some years there will be top 5 high school players who are attracted to Notre Dame; some years there will not. We learned from the ridiculous upheaval on the Boneyard that missing a recruit or two does not mean one can no longer recruit top talent. At this time, I'm not worried about ND recruiting.

Yes, Notre Dame needs those transcripts and SAT scores, but I personally feel we are not much different than other schools. Now that college women's basketball is part of powerful publicity to promote the university, the better the player, the more relaxed the admissions. I know some very good schools allow a couple of "freebies" by the athletic coach (within reason). We all know of a few fantastic women basketball players recently at ND who were not, nor ever intended to be scholars.