On the subject of assistant coaches…
by BabaGhanouj (2020-05-06 15:12:13)
Edited on 2020-05-06 15:15:16

In reply to: Megan Duffy brought one young assistant with her from  posted by MPG

Since others have treated this post as a segue to Niele’s soon-to-be-announced staff selections, I will continue along that path.

In all the interviews Coach Ivey has given after being named head coach, when asked about her Memphis experience, she has gushed about how much she learned.

I find this both welcoming and troubling. Welcoming, obviously, because she gained needed experience in being submerged within a completely different coaching atmosphere—new drills, new ways of running practices, new emphases on how to relate to and motivate players, new preparations and game strategies, new philosophies on coaching. She can’t say enough about how much she learned and how smart these coaches are.

Troubling, because the experience really seems to have opened her eyes to how limited her coaching experience has been. In a recent interview she said she has “a ton of ideas” from her short time with the Grizzlies. Niele’s lavish praise of her experience is probably, in part, due to her enthusiastic personality, but may also point to how sheltered she has been under a single coach. (Yes, she did get to work for other coaches while in the WNBA.)

Anyway, this is all by way of introduction to say that I would not be surprised if she is trying to get at least one person on her staff who is not part of Coach McGraw’s coaching tree. I would not be surprised if she brings in one (or more) new coach(es).

Replies: