Associate HC for ND WBB job announcement
by Fighting_Artichoke (2020-05-12 23:29:40)
Edited on 2020-05-12 23:32:54

per Raoul

So who is leaving? Cunningham or Owens?

Some thoughtrs
by Hulabuddha  (2020-05-13 10:10:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’ll play.
Some starting thoughts:
Coach Owens has said several times that she will leave when Muffet leaves. That might not be the case in that Muffet’s retirement was likely pushed up for whatever reasons(s). Coach Owens probably expected to stay another three to five years. But, that understanding doesn’t apply now in that Muffet’s leaving was not expected.
Ten years’ experience is an “ideal” regardless of how it’s written. If someone was perfect for the position and only had nine years’ experience … This requirement is like the “male or female” text also in the Description. I doubt if a male really has a chance.
A lot of what Coach Ivey does is likely predicated on what Coach Cunningham wishes to do. I don’t think Coach Ivey is wedded to whatever Coach Cunningham wants to do, and I don’t this is Coach Cunningham’s call; but if they can work something out acceptable to both, I think that will happen.
We have not had the success we deserve in recruiting taller players, for whatever reason.
Success in recruiting must be a key aspect of this new coach’s background.
Some of you might have some additional thoughts to add.
So, what do I think is happening and will be the result?
I’m betting Coach Owens is leaving and Coach Cunningham and Coach Ivey have come to an agreement as to when Coach Cunningham leaves, probably within the next two years.
Like several of you have stated, I believe this job posting is a formality. I believe Coach Ivey has her coach in the wings and she will shortly go through the venting process.
I further believe this new coach is coming from outside the program, no particular geographic focus needed.
My final speculative comment is this new coach will likely have an ACC or Big Ten background.
Chip away.

My guess is that Beth is leaving. She has not tweeted or
by MPG  (2020-05-13 10:01:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

retweeted on her ND account since April 27. Coach Owens had a pause in her tweeting in late April, but has resumed normal activity in May. I would hate to see either leave, but the double mention of recruiting in the job posting is another indication of who is leaving since Beth was the recruiting coordinator. If true, I will be sad to see her go.

My guess is that Niele has a replacement in mind and that the posting is a formality. I expect the new coach to be from outside the ND program.

I think you're spot on.
by Mike  (2020-05-13 10:51:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Unfortunately

Agree With You, as Well....
by dillon77  (2020-05-13 15:53:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Possible Assignments:

- Posts/Big Forwards: Carol Owens
- Wings/Big Guards: Michaela Mabrey
- PGs: Coquese Washington

- Recruiting: Niele overseeing Mabrey and Washington.

Coquese Washington...
by LAW83  (2020-05-13 08:00:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

my bet !

Good bet.*
by ndbutch  (2020-05-13 14:06:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"""

Why does the job have to be posted?
by TWO  (2020-05-13 07:44:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As a private school I thought maybe we wouldn't have to abide by rules that State schools have to for jobs?

Policy Statement from ND Web Site. Note the "May"...
by dillon77  (2020-05-13 08:14:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..on the first line of 2.1. ("..may be posted for internal or external candidates to apply...")

2. POLICY STATEMENT
2.1. Posting Requirements
Once the Position Management Process is completed the position may be posted for internal or external candidates to apply. The department should first provide internal notification to those in the department that a position is available and ask for those interested to contact the hiring manager. If the hiring manager chooses to fill the position from within their department, no further posting is necessary.

Positions not filled from within the department must be posted on campus, and externally if desired, for at least five days on the University posting site. The minimum of the Market Reference Range (MRR) must be posted in the ‘Hiring Pay Range’ section of the posting.

Time to ramp up speculation
by RISteve  (2020-05-13 04:38:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Clearly, there is movement afoot. We will find out soon enough. And, I suspect, NI already has a candidate in place. The job posting is most likely a formality.

Thanks for posting.

Agree With Your Reasoning ..
by dillon77  (2020-05-13 07:26:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..that the posting is the pro-forma part of the process.

Prior to Niele leaving for the Grizzlies, all three of MM's assistants -- Niele, Beth, Carol -- were all associate head coaches. Niele could be going back to that model, but I'm inclined to think she'll keep an assistant coach (more junior). (Plus, in the time of COVID-19, cutting down on budgets is something athletic departments won't mind.)

So, yes, the fact that Niele is posting for an Assc. Head Coach seems to indicate that Niele is looking for another senior presence with collegiate experience (10+ years) to take the place of a current assc. head coach.

The reference to recruiting (twice) is interesting. Based on her background with ND and what we've read since her return, I'm guessing Niele will still have a lot of interest/input into all aspects of recruiting (after all, she is the face of the program now). If Michaela is kept, she'll still have a lot of input into this.

So, who will join them?

Of ND-related possibilities, only Coquese Washington seems to match the 10+ years requirement. She is a former player and assistant at ND, HC at Penn State and current Assc. Head Coach at Oklahoma. She's from the Midwest (Michigan) and recruited there.

Or could she go outside the ND tree?

- One of the Duke posters on The Boneyard wrote that his worst nightmare would be if Niele hired former Duke and Texas HD Gail Goestenkors as an assc. head coach. Goestenkors was really the person that built Duke into the top of the ACC (along with UNC) prior to ND arriving and she's an adept recruiter. Plus, she worked in the WNBA, so she and Niele would share a pro approach.

Interestingly, Niele, Washington and Goestenkors were all point guards when they played.

- One other idea with ACC and Duke pedigree: Joanne Boyle, the former UVA, Cal and Richmond coach (who played at Duke). She resigned from UVA, if you recall, to make sure she could get a permanent visa for her adopted daughter. Mission finally accomplished. After a few years off and many lawyer bills later, one would have to wonder if she would like to get back into the coaching game and that the assisting gig might be the right way to do it. Smart coach. knows the ACC well.

Stay tuned....

If it is Carol who might be leaving (most senior) ...
by NDoggie78  (2020-05-13 08:31:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Niele may want someone to coach "the bigs" - Coquese Washington was a point guard so probably not the ideal choice.

I guess who they may depend on who is leaving.

If it is Carol, both Natalie Achonwa and Ruth Riley have been around the program (no clue if they have interest in coaching) but lack experience

The Job Posting States 10+ Years of Experience Is Necessary
by dillon77  (2020-05-13 09:45:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Division I coaching (assistant or head) of 10 years is a requirement."

I went back and looked at the thread we did a few weeks back on the ND coaching tree. While there's a lot of alums/former assistant coaches in the business, very few that are available fit that 10+ year requirement, particularly ones who coach posts.

As noted, Riley, Achonwa and Dev Peters all come up with gooseggs on that front. (Achonwa does have interest in coaching, btw, once done with playing.) Ariel Braker and Markesha Wright only have a few years each.

The only current Irish alum coaching posts and having recruiting experience is Melissa D'Amico at Wake Forest, but even she only racks up seven years total experience (2 at Colgate, 3 at Yale and 2 at Wake).

So, if Niele/Carole are going different ways, I'd think the look is outside the ND coaching tree.

If it was someone with PG experience, Michaela could slide over to the shooting guard/wing roll. Stay tuned!

Do you believe the 10 years experience is an absolute?
by NDoggie78  (2020-05-13 10:18:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In the real world, these job postings have these criteria as filters. But I have seen hires where all the criteria weren't met. There is something to be said for applicants who go after a job where they may not have the experience, but can show why they are best for the job - assuming they get in the door in the first place.

Now with Michaela already being a relative newby, I can see going after the experience (assuming Michaela remains).
Many think Brey hiring ex-players with little experience has been a problem.

Also, someone with 10+ years experience may be looking for a head coaching job or have decided to be comfortable where they are.

I think the hiring decision may be based on who is leaving as well.
Rambling thoughts - one thing I am sure of, Niele isn't asking me.

No. But for An Associate Head Coach, It Should Be Close...
by dillon77  (2020-05-13 10:31:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...after all, the associate head coach carries more responsbility and, hence, bigger salary.

But your point is valid: if there's someone who is a tad less than 10 years, but has many years of playing professionally and knocks the socks off the interview and/or Niele really wants her (proabably), then sure, it wouldn't be absolute.

But the fact that it's in there tells me that Niele does want an experienced coach.

I've got to think Niele wants to keep a young person around. As vibrant and youthful as she is, having a person under 30 is a good move for relating to players and families.

Stay tuned!

10 years may be non-negotiable
by pablo  (2020-05-13 11:14:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Having written a few position descriptions in my day, using the word "requirement" for 10 years is probably fixed. Typically, you use the word "preferred" if you want some wiggle room. It potentially gets sticky, and potentially litigious, if you want to hire someone with fewer than 10 years, but you have someone who has met the 10 year threshold in the applicant pool. I do agree with those who say NI probably has her coach picked out. It is not unusual to pick the person, and then write the description specifically to that person's qualifications to ensure the person is hired. It's a bit deceptive, and arguably unethical, and HR frowns on the practice. But, it happens often. Look for the person who matches this description to the letter, and that is likely the next coach.

Probably right and if it is Coquese, this backs it up
by NDoggie78  (2020-05-13 16:10:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In other words, if this job posting was just to fulfill a requirement and job had already all but been filled, then writing a job description that fits Coquese and probably very few other probable candidates, eliminates any critical review from the outside.

Thx The "Preferred" Phrasing Is A Good Point...
by dillon77  (2020-05-13 13:21:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was seeing if there might some wiggle room going into the search, but like many, I think this search is pretty much focused on one or two candidates already. I've taken a guess at one "ND coaching tree" and two outside the tree and all three blow by the 10-year requirement.

Melissa D'Amico has seven years of coaching experience but played pro ball for quite a few. However, the requirement was for 10 years coaching.

Think we'll know this soon enough....