Thx for Your Reasoning.
by dillon77 (2020-05-14 09:12:05)

In reply to: Four things come to mind.....  posted by CharlesT

I imagine we can all find some tea leaves and read them in such a way that we have different takeaways.

1) I'll give you the plural of "associate head coaches." Unless that's a typo, point taken.

But I can't see what one gets out of having three Assc. Head Coaches, all of whom have been HC's (from a pychological standpoint, I'd go nuts).

2) I reread the recruiting portion: "Identify and evaluate prospective student-athletes. Assist in the coordination of recruiting activities for program." That sounds like she's part of the overall effort, as opposed to Beth "spearheading" or Michaela "coordinating." The other open question here is how Niele addresses recruiting her first few years. She likes to recruit and realizes how important she -- Niele -- is to this effort. Maybe everyone helps, with Niele as focal point?

3) We're in agreement on position coach and it does not matter who stays: Coquese can coach PG's. Mike -- who did fine with Anaya and Katlyn -- can swing over to wings easily and obviously Beth could stay there.

4) Hmmm. Shouldn't all coaches contribute to that? In Beth's bio, she's credited with developing scouting reports and practice plans, while "she’s really good on the bench during timeouts with comments and suggestions we can use,” according to MM.

MM on Mike: “I’ve been amazed with how she can break down film and do a scouting report. She can recruit with anybody, and against anybody, because she has that innate ability to relate to the players and the parents."

Theoretically, Coquese does all of these things, as well.

Other factors:

- Seenms good to have a "young 'un" there to do the little things that pop up everywhere. Plus, hop on a plane on a moment's notice. And relate to kids, which Mike can do. Plus, MM has always hired younger coaches, such as Niele Ivey and, oh yeah, Coquese, before that.

- As Orangutan and MPG have pointed out, social media can give hints. Since late April, Beth is nowhere to be found on her twitter. MM is busy as ever, with tweents on program elements (manager), alum interaction (Arike) and personal notes that jive with ND (mother's day).

- Who knows? We'll find out soon enough. One other thought (albeit a long shot). Niele isn't making what MM did. So theoretically, if Niele wanted three assc. head coaches, she could pay for Coquese to join Beth and Carol. Maybe, Niele would also want to have a Director of Player Recruitment and Retention? Many schools are developing these roles, recognizing how important it is to stay with a player from propsect to grad. Mike seems a natural.