So, What About Matyson Wilkie?
by dillon77 (2020-05-22 12:18:37)
Edited on 2020-05-22 14:51:26

Remember her, the "other" member of the Class of 2021 -- besides Azzi Fudd -- to attend the gathering of prospects known as Recruitapalooza or Nielefest?

She's been a bit quiet, compared to folks like Sam Brunelle and Anaya Peoples (Class of 2019), Nat Marshall, Alli Campbell, Paige Bueckers and Caitlin Clark (2021) and the omnipresent Fudd.

However, she's still managed to progress well in HS and AAU and while reading an article on another 2021 commit to Wisconsin, 6'4" Sacia Vanderpool, I found out that Wilkie happens to be Jonathan Tsipis' top target for the Badgers in 2021:

"Vanderpool becomes the second member of the 2021 (Badger) recruiting class, joining 5-10 guard Krystyna Ellew of Chicago Taft. As things stand now, the Badgers have one scholarship remaining for the class, with that spot believed to be reserved for Beaver Dam guard Maty Wilke, the top recruiting target for several years."

If this comes throught, looks like Nielefest would keep Wikie in the extended ND family, given that Tsipis coached with Ivey and was, in fact, her preedecessor as recruiting coordinator for the Irish.

Thanks for the update. So the Badgers are holding a place
by MPG  (2020-05-22 13:36:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for Wilkie, just as we guess ND is holding a place for Fudd. As the weeks go by without an Azzi announcement, I wonder if Niele is building a strong relationship with her?

I'll Bet She's Giving it The Ivey Try....
by dillon77  (2020-05-22 15:49:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Gosh knows how many hours she spent pre-Grizz doing that and now she's back on the proverbial bicycle. And while she's doing that, you can bet she's getting in touch with 2022 bigs (obviously, Ms. Patterson, already) and a few others. Michaela already seems to be doing this.

We all know the benefits that Azzi would have playing with Paige Bueckers and others at UConn, but joining Miles and Citron would be a pretty enticing fit, as well. She would get the ball from Miles exactly where she needs it, whether for a spot-up j or for a drive to the hoop. And Citron is a perfectly-sized wing/tall guard to work off of.

I'm sure UConn can come up with comparable lineup, but I keep coming back to the fact that Geno often refers to Bueckers as a combo guard, which leads me to believe he may be looking to use her in an "off-guard" position, much like Fudd....or DT.

Could be wrong, but I think those are the two finalists for her services... can't see her fitting in with ball-first players at Maryland.

Would you agree that the longer the delay in Fudd's
by drmurray  (2020-05-23 19:39:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

decision the better our chances?

I would think if she was so definite on UConnshe would have already committed there.

This is all purely speculation.