This Will Be Tough for Teams With Mega Invites...
by dillon77 (2020-05-26 10:48:49)

In reply to: WNBA roster cuts this week  posted by RISteve

..and people under "proove it" contracts (like that technical term?), such as the New York Liberty and Dallas Wings and, a lesser extent, the Las Vegas Aces.

Lindsay Allen (LA) has always been lurking around the edges of that roster. When Laimbeer signed Danielle Robinson, I thought LA was toast, but then Trader Bill suprised me and signed her again. (The again, LA had a spectacular year in Australia and has greatly improved her overall and three-point shooting).
Laimbeer and his front office has already started selectively trimming his roster to address this early roster decision-making. We'll see about LA. I hope she gets signed so she can draw a steady salary while the league waits.

Marina was, of course, traded from LA to Dallas. LA is clearly going for it right now and once Siemone Augustus signed. LA had one less guard spot. They chose Sydney Wiese and that was it for Marina. So, of course, in Dallas she's fighting for a spot with Karly Samuelson (2nd year running) and zounds of other guards and wings.

Marina does offer versatility. During her time overseas, she was apparently playing point, shooing guard and often both during games. Perhaps this versatilty will help her with roster formation. We'll see. I'd say the Arike wing-man situation will only go far, as will Karly S. with her sister, Katielou.

Think everyone else looks pretty secure:
- K-Mac and Jackie Young in LV
- Sky and Brianna in Phoenix
- Jewell in Seattle
- Jess in Minnesota
- Arike in Dallas
- Ace in Indiana

Ace's playing time might be challenged (by the combo of McCowan and Cox), but she's highly valued by the organization.

Kat Westebeld won a championship in Puerto Rico, then was unexpectedly signned as an injury replacement in the Aussie League where she played with Bri. She averaged double figures and got positive write-ups. However, this would be a tough year to try out, if she's even interested, for the WNBA.