Question on Olivia Miles and her awesome glasses
by Raoul (2020-05-28 10:11:24)

I love the retro glasses look. Seems very 80's to me. You rarely see players with glasses anymore.

I am trying to think if we had any ND women who played with glasses - or men for that matter. Or any prominent women's players. Since contacts (which I used to wear and loathe) it seems most players opt for them over glasses.

Kurt Rambis and Kareem always wore them.

I've got my eye on this post *
by drmurray  (2020-05-29 09:47:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

On the Guy's Side, Didn't George Mikan Wear Specs?
by dillon77  (2020-05-28 11:08:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..and that's (thank the lord) going back to my dad's youth.

Rambis most certainly wore them. Didn't Kareem wear goggles (not glasses) because he was getting poked in eye all the time by shorter centers?

yes, Mikan wore glasses-and wanted to go to Notre Dame
by olson  (2020-05-28 11:45:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

linked below is a bio of George Mikan -with a picture of him wearing glasses

Per the bio -already 6'8 Mikan tried out as a HS Frosh for the Joliet Catholic team but was told 'people with glasses could not play hoops'

Mikan transferred as a soph to Archbishop Quigley Prep Seminary school in Chicago...deciding that he wanted to be a Catholic priest

By his senior yr. Mikan had changed his mind &

"really wanted to attend Notre Dame & worked out for (ND) coach George Keogan. Keogan felt the youngster was too raw for the Fighting Irish, and advised him to enroll at a smaller school where his deficiencies would be less likely to be exposed."

Mikan went to DePaul. Mikan, now 6'10 played on the Frosh team.

The next year as a soph. DePaul got a new coach -former ND BB captain & then ND assistant BB coach Ray Meyer.

Meyer sometimes gets credit for recruiting Mikan to DePaul...but Meyer inherited Mikan..who was already there & a soph when Meyers left ND to become HC at DePaul

DePaul made the Final 4 in Mikan's 1st varsity season

Finished runner up in the NIT the next season(NIT was as big as the NCAA tourney at the time)

Then won the NIT in Mikan's senior yr

then was off to the Lakers

Yep, WAY MORE info than anyone really wanted to know. :)

Great Stuff...Thanks.
by dillon77  (2020-05-28 14:55:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I had no idea about the Mikan-ND connection and thanks for reminding us how much of an ND guy Ray Meyer was.

When I was at ND in the mid-70's, the connections between ND, DePaul and Marquette were numerous, right and tight and the b-ball coaches all showed it. You would always see Digger, Ray and Al McGuire out after a game, whether it was in the Morris Inn or even Senior Bar (particularly Al and Digger in the latter).

At that time
by BIG MAC  (2020-05-28 14:48:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would say the NIT was a better tournament than the NCAA.

My Father Used To Say That All the Time... *
by dillon77  (2020-05-28 14:52:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thank you for this and all your other fascinating ND tales! *
by MPG  (2020-05-28 13:54:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fran Belibi does I believe *
by okerland  (2020-05-28 10:51:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Oh, I belibi it. *
by PWK2  (2020-05-28 14:42:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Diamond DeShields wears glasses in the WNBA. I can't
by MPG  (2020-05-28 10:25:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

recall an ND women's player who wore glasses while playing.