A Few Points on PSU and one on ND...
by dillon77 (2020-05-28 16:31:09)
Edited on 2020-05-28 17:55:41

In reply to: CW and recruiting  posted by Mike

I think your topic sentence in the post is a good place to start:
The list of Top 100 Hoopgurlz players signed by Coquese Washington since 2010.

That brings to mind two things:
- Should Penn State been able to procure more 100 HG recruits?
- And what did she have a pipeline of players who were not but developed?

The two best players on that list were Maggie Lucas (played in Europe this winter) and Teniya Page who was Penn State's last B1G performer.

Some other thoughts:
- Even though she was based in central Pa., Coach Washington always had an eye out for players in the midwest (her native Michigan, in particular).
- Her last recruiting class was a pretty good one: besides the Top 100 recruit Makenna Marisa (started 29 of 30 games), frosh pg Shay Hagans and forward Anna Camden got a lot of floor time. The results were not necessarily good, but this was expected to be a transition year between Coach Washington and new coach Carolyn Kieger.
- Interestingly, a number of Coach Washington's non-Hoopgurlz 100 recruits have transferred to Michigan State (2), Texas and Seton Hall.
Two of those recruits are from prep powerhouse Riverdale Baptist (one each to Texas and Mich. State).

----------------------------------------------------------------------

And a point about Coach Washington and recruiting at ND.

The job posting for this AHC position had her "assisting," not coordinating. I'm guessing that HC Ivey will oversee recruiting (which she puts a premimum on, something many Benchers do, as well), with assists from all concerned, particularly Washington and Michaela Mabrey.

We'll see how all this plays out but I'll bet Niele takes advantage of Coach Washington's contacts in the Midwest and certain programs (Riverdale Baptist?) and unleashes Michaela back to her home base of the NJ shore, among many other llocales.

Replies: