Stewie and Jewel pick WBB All-Decade team. Good read
by RISteve (2020-05-29 14:18:39)

Per NDHoopsRecruits.

Very entertaining, indeed.

Link, below

Only 6 of the 18 players chosen (including BS/JL) were on NC
by Domerduck  (2020-05-29 21:25:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

teams-the 4 UConn players (Moore, Charles, KLM, & Stewart), Aja Wilson of SC, & Griner of Baylor. Another observations is there were 5 players who 4 time NC Breanna Stewart played against in her 5 losses: the 4 ND players who caused her PTSD with 3 of the losses (Jewell, KMac, Skylar, & Ace) & Griner who beat her that same year. I also thought Nneka who was chosen played in Stewart's only other loss, Stanford in 2014, but she didn't when I checked the box score and then realized she graduated in 2012.

A third observation is only 3 coaches had multiple players-Geno & Muffet with their 4 each and Graves who had 3: Vandersloot from Gonzaga & Ionescu/Sabally at Oregon who were the only 2 from this year. Those 2 plus Plum and Wilson were the only four of 16 players who played after 2015 so they certainly biased when the two of them were playing and who they've played against in the WNBA who happened to play during the decade.

I like their list, especially since 6 of the players came from my two alma maters and only 4 came from UConn who had a team in the Final 4 every year and won 5 championships during the decade. I even like the pick of Shoni since she is a kid from Portland, Oregon and such a fearless gamer. You can see how that L'ville NCAA win against Baylor/Griner in 2013 impacted both Loyd & Stewart thinking. I also can see why it was hard to pick a player from the ND 2018 championship team since they were more of a team vs 1 player (other than Arike F4 heroics.)

Fun read.

Someone from ND's two recent Championship games should be on
by NDoggie78  (2020-05-29 15:31:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe because they were a team and not an individual, but still think Jess or Arike (maybe Jackie - she was #1 pick in draft) should be there before Shoni Shimmel or Sabally

Shimmel was not that impressive but I disagree about Sabally
by GriffinGold16  (2020-05-29 17:14:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She's a specimen. Ultra athletic. She's a beast already and still has such a high ceiling. I would probably trade her for most people on the ND roster from 2017-2019 if I wasn't emotionally attached to our players.

So Oregon deserved 2 players off their team and ND 0?
by NDoggie78  (2020-06-01 09:35:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe Sabally will be all you said and you can talk about upside (the reason Jackie was drafted #1), but this was about college players/college careers not about "potential".

I don't see anyway you can rate Sabally ahead of Arike. Just by career stats:
Points per game: Arike 17.6 / Sabally 14.4
Rebounds per game: Arike 4.6 / Sabally 5.6
Assists per game: Arike 2.4 / Sabally 2.0
Steals per game: Arike 1.3 / Sabally 1.1
Assist/turnover ratio: Arike 1.3 / Sabally 1.1

Then you add winning one National Championship, playing in two, having the game winning shot in 2 Final Four games back to back.

And as I said, this was supposed to be about what they did in collage, but Arike has also shown she can do it in the WNBA.

And all 5 starters on that 2018/2019 team were better in college than Shoni Shimmel. I just made an argument for Arike over Sabally, there is a pretty good argument for Jackie and Jess too

Love This! Like Most Humans, Me Thinks They're Picking...
by dillon77  (2020-05-29 15:48:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..what they know best, from around their time frames. Arike could've been Shoni, Jess could've been Ace. But here are things I loved reading:

- Comments on Skylar
- Stewie: Head of the snake. Raised visibility of the game. Just great observation!
- Jewell: She kept us accountable. Loved that. Sky as boss.

- Comments on K-mac:
- Stewie: Really hard to guard. One dribble pull-up (good in college, just as good now).

- Overall ND:
- Stewie: PTSD from playing ND! LoL! Kudos to Sky, K-Mac, Jewell.

- Comments on Ace:
- Jewell. Man she just loved playing with Ace. The references to her is something we've all talked about here: Ace ran the Princeton offense from the high post. To some degree, we're still looking for an Ace, a Kat, a Jess (when she wasn't pounding you down low). Kudos to her pro and international career, as well.

Fun stuff.

I love it too. The classic 'team capt's picking squads'.
by Jon  (2020-05-29 17:30:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Always fun, no matter the sport or level. Always delightfully controversial.