Thoughts
by irishrudy (2020-05-29 17:12:00)

In reply to: Does it not bother anyone  posted by WaxonWaxoff

Comments and then thoughts:
Entire staff knew MM was in the process or thinking of retirement. There was no surprises there. Also, the staff knew Niele would be the replacement. This wasn't about Beth feeling spurned she didn't get the job. Two media outlets reported Beth was wanting to stay on the staff. Quite frankly, Beth was very comfortable and loved being on the staff.
This is not being critical of Niele because I do feel she has the right to change the staff as the HC but she didn't handle the question well about her and the staff, and that was the 3rd interview she did prior to someone actually asking her. When I heard her response, I knew she was making a change even though she didn't outright say it.
This was an awkward departure. Lou Somoygi, the historian of all things Notre Dame even has said so.

In repeat from me, the Cunningham's didn't buy and restore the house they have if she was hoping to go somewhere else. ( and not as head coach) They felt very much a part of Notre Dame and wanted to be in SB. To me, the fact there wasn't a statement from Notre Dame women's basketball announcing the departure from Notre Dame, your 3rd leading scorer, a ring of honor inductee, an all american, associate head coach on national championship team and multiple final fours.....there is more to the story. How the story leaked was because WBB twitter shared a Niele post that showed Ruth talking to the team and the only person that was missing was Beth.
She deserves better.

Replies: