Inconceivable or completely plausible?
by BabaGhanouj (2020-05-29 21:08:42)

Who would have ever guessed that the Notre Dame’s Women’s Basketball team would have the opportunity to design a second “I can’t breathe” T-Shirt?

Mikayla Vaughn is a fine arts major.

Please, this is not an attempt to be political (other than the most general sense of the word, meaning societal). I truly find all twists on this topic, especially how it relates to NDWBB, fascinating.

Actually, Somewhat Inevitable....
by dillon77  (2020-05-29 23:30:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..I'm also not going to bring politics into this particular board (if anything, these boards are a respite). However, I must admit that I've thought of Taya Reimer and that team quite a bit the last two days.

As I type, I'm listening to two on-the-street reporters (Louisville and Atlanta) noting that the vast majority of protesters are young.
There are protests all over the country...too many to show on screen.

And there's still a pandemic going on.

Back in the day, I remember anti-Vietnam War demonstrations, protests during the Nigeria-Biafra war and, later, anti-Nuke rallies. But nothing quite like these....whew.

Be safe everyone and keep your faith.

I hope not.
by WaxonWaxoff  (2020-05-31 01:34:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

by the time basketball rolls around this incident will be six months removed. How many protests do we need to have, for how long? IMO, if they choose to protest fine, wear the shirts on your own time, not as official representatives of the school. I also believe it had a divisive affect on the team when Reimer championed it. MY two cents

Thanks. Your question nailed it!
by BabaGhanouj  (2020-05-31 12:26:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"How many protests do we need to have, for how long?"

The answer to that question of as to how long & how many
by maverick  (2020-05-31 14:01:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

protests would be until change takes place. If things don't then there will be periodic protests of this nature

Thx...WW and 2nd Streeter for Insights, Opinions
by dillon77  (2020-05-31 08:53:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Three quick comments. Once again, intended as observational.

- Let me be more specific: the "somewhat inevitable" tagline had to do with expecting huge numbers and elements of society reacting to this situation, not a comment on what any ND has or will do. My apologies if that was written in a confusing or dual-meaning mannter (it wasn't).

I thought of Taya Reimer primarily as a young person (who also happened to be on a team) who -- who chose to react to a similar incident.

However, I also thought of my mid-20's daughter and her friends who lives in Brooklyn a 1/2 mile from Barclay's Center, where numerous outbreaks took place. She (my daughter) is coming "out" to NJ today and I look forward to her reports and insights.

- 2nd Streeter raises a really good point that I've been thinking of, which is how many protests seem to take on a violent hue, whether threatened or actual. (Not all protests "back in the day" were non-violent, but the vast majority were.)

- Once again, these comments are made as observational...if I want to enter the "political" board, I will, but I (primarily) come to ndnation for basketball.

- Short-term, to paraphrase the late, great John Prine, I "wish you all the best."

Not political but observational as above posters
by 2ndstreeter  (2020-05-31 06:38:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Society has changed much. The protests of the ‘60’s whether anti-war/racism were generally not accompanied by looting and burning other than Watts, Detroit, et al. It seems now that element is a close companion.

By the way, the CFB Hall of Fame in Atlanta was looted. Now there’s a T-shirt story.

In the end, pray for our nation. We need compassion and healing to carry the day.

Back in the day
by BabaGhanouj  (2020-05-30 22:43:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post