South Carolina nabs another 2021 prospect
by RISteve (2020-05-31 16:28:57)

Per Raoul.

Staley is recruiting well

Top-10 WBB prospect Sania Feagin, 6-4 F, Forest Park HS (GA), has announced her commitment to South Carolina, their third 2021 commit. Her other finalists were Georgia, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Ole Miss, and Mississippi State.

They and Baylor have enviable success recruiting post
by MPG  (2020-06-01 09:48:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

players. Adding Feagin two years after signing Boston is what ND needs to emulate. As Dillon and others have noted, we should expect ND to add a highly regarded post player and an athletic wing forward such as Ayanna Patterson in 2022.

Man, amazing group they have assembled. *
by 2Domer  (2020-05-31 17:30:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Staley Being Helped A Bunch By Jolette Law...
by dillon77  (2020-05-31 18:53:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...who joined the South Carolina Staff in summer 2017, following a stint at Tennessee.

“Jolette’s experience as a head coach and recruiter will be instrumental as we continue to compete for and win championships,” Staley said. “Her basketball knowledge, energy and passion for the game are invaluable additions to our program.”

Law spent the vast majority of her time with C. Vivivan Stringer and was exceedingly instrumental in the successful run Rutgers had in the early part of this century. She moved on to be a head coach at Illinois, where she wasn't that successful.

After leaving Illinois, she headed to Knoxville and got increasingly more involved with recruiting. Law played a pivotal role in recruiting, helping the Lady Vols land the top class in 2017 before leaving for S. Carolina.

The freshman class, including Aliyah Boston, Zia Cooke, Brea Beal, was stellar and this one is solid, as well.

Recruiting is often a fine balance between the wants and needs of institutions and prospects and meshing them is one fine skill. Tip of the hat to Staley, Law and the rest of the staff.

Along those lines, I think Niele, closing the deal on years of work, did a great job of adding Olivia Miles and Sonia Citron. The Irish need bigs -- probably in 2022 -- and I look forward to how the newly configured staff works together. Let's hope the mesh works well.

And probably
by tedstheman  (2020-05-31 19:11:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Being helped by being the National team coach. I'm sure that tips the scale for some thinking it will give them a leg up. Also the reason that an active college coach shouldn't be in that position.

My Major Issue with a College Coach Heading U.S. Nat'l Team
by dillon77  (2020-05-31 19:30:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...is that I think the demands of running a major D1 program often get in the way of being available for a lot of the responsibilities of the National Team. Witness the games against the College Teams: Dawn, of course, was busy with South Carolina so Cheryl Reeve (Minnesota Lynx) and Dan Hughes (Seattle Storm) coached the team.

Candidly, I thought Reeve should've gotten the HC job after Geno left. The team is made up of pros and she, as well as Hughes, are stellar coaches and administrators, well versed in personnel. They also know which of the pros handle the international game well.

As for the advantage of having the U.S. National team as a lure for college coaches, I get that with Geno: the "virtuous" circle was tightened and no doubt he took advantage of it. I'm not sure Dawn is there quite yet, but point taken: no college coach should have a chance to forge that advantage over another.

I agree. The college coach who coaches the National
by sixtythreer  (2020-06-02 10:46:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

team gets an unfair advantage. I like your idea.