Coach Niele Ivey speaks out via twitter.
by BabaGhanouj (2020-05-31 18:39:39)
Edited on 2020-05-31 18:42:07

Part of her message:

"I pray that I can use my platform to evoke change. Stop killing innocent, unarmed black people. Stop judging people based on the color of their skin and treating them less than human. We need change and change can only happen if we continue to voice these atrocities, demand justice, call in, petition, and use our power to vote. We need to change the laws and unite together to stand up for what's right. I am not okay and you shouldn't be either."

So proud of Niele! 100%!! *
by goirish01  (2020-06-01 15:06:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How about stop looting, rioting, burning, attacking police
by NDoggie78  (2020-06-01 09:11:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree with all she said, but leaders need to call for the end of the destruction, too - it's hurting innocent people, and has nothing to do with affecting change. In fact, it is hurting those chances. I am not okay with this and she shouldn't be either - and I am not singling out Niele, all leaders and those with voice should be calling for an end to this, too.

NDoggie 78 - Shhh go back to being complicit quietly
by CharlesT  (2020-06-02 00:00:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND has enough trouble convincing great athletes to attend and your comments will come back to hurt our recruitment effort. Take your comments elsewhere - smh -

This kind of discussion belongs on the PBR *
by Board Ops  (2020-06-01 12:28:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Board Ops NDoggie78 needs a “time out” he’s gassed *
by CharlesT  (2020-06-02 00:01:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You're in line ahead of him
by Board Ops  (2020-06-02 08:49:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Familiarize yourself with Board Rule 14.

No worries I’m gone - *
by CharlesT  (2020-06-02 10:18:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

THANK YOU! Their opinions could impact future recruiting *
by CharlesT  (2020-06-01 14:33:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes, thank you *
by tedstheman  (2020-06-01 12:56:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Leaders are calling for the end of the destruction BUT......
by bebo1226  (2020-06-01 10:41:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Don't be fooled. The majority of the protesters ARE peaceful. They are angry and rightfully so, but they are not the main ones looting and burning. They are kneeling and praying and shouting and marching, but bad actors have been coming into those spaces to have you believe that the violence stems from those who really want to effect change. They are the agitators most times inciting the violence. All legitimate protesters aren't innocent, but the whole idea is to concentrate on the resulting violence-not the violence that precipitated it in the first place. That's what keeps the well worn narratives and stereotyping going for the people who have been affected the most by police violence. That's how this started. I don't want to argue, but I don't want to let a blanket statement stand as fact either. These protesters want the police to keep their knees off their necks. Literally.

Most police aren't bad either, yet theyre all being attacked
by NDoggie78  (2020-06-01 11:00:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think there are two messages to be heard - stop police brutality (racial or otherwise) and stop the anarchy, that dilutes the original message

Can't have it both ways
by bebo1226  (2020-06-01 11:06:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I just think it’s weird how some people will lump protesters and rioters together in one breath and then in another say a few bad cops shouldn’t spoil the whole bunch. Why doesn’t the same logic apply in both cases? Doesn't make sense but my prayer is that all this is upheaval is not in vain. We have to come out of this better that when we came in.

I am saying it applies in both cases
by NDoggie78  (2020-06-01 12:01:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not all protesters were rioters/anarchists - not all police are bad.
I think the real solution is that neither group is policing their own.
The protesters should have stopped the burning and looting.
The police need to quit covering up and remove the bad apples.

The innocent people who lost their stores and businesses and their lives in Oakland deserve justice, too.

For sure
by BabaGhanouj  (2020-06-01 10:00:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There are two issues here that practically everyone, or at least practically everyone on this board, supports:

1) We have not had, and must fight for, equal justice for all. Most don’t consider themselves prejudice in regards to color, but we all are. I’m racist. It’s part of growing up in our society.

2) Civilization is hard. Destroying it is easy. Even though our justice system is flawed (as a reflection of our society), laws, justice, and the police are all vital and must be supported as we fight to improve them.

I can't believe there's much argument on those issues.

Concisely and well put. Co-sign both points. *
by 2ndstreeter  (2020-06-01 10:27:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Amen! Coach, we are united behind you in peace! *
by BTFNDGUY  (2020-06-01 08:53:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Coquese tweets as well
by RISteve  (2020-05-31 20:40:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Link, below

The Author Van Jones Made A Similar Point...
by dillon77  (2020-06-01 09:56:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...on Sunday morning, when he said that he has already had conversations with sons and male boys in his neighbors on how to stay out of trouble (read, aggravating the police). But he was at a loss in this case. Co's tweet felt like a mother's coda.

Keep your faith, folks. And stay safe.

Her hire has coincided with challenges no one could have...
by RISteve  (2020-05-31 20:09:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...predicted

She has had to deal with a new world with school learnings disrupted, campus closed, recruiting upside down and more unknowns she could not have imagined. Now race protests/riots have hit her square between the eyes. She is being tested, like we all are. I hope we all come out of this in one piece when we get to the other side. Good Luck, Niele. Stay with your core principles and beliefs. I am rooting for you...