Nice notes,
by BabaGhanouj (2020-06-08 15:21:41)
Edited on 2020-06-08 15:28:17

In reply to: You have received some helpful replies. Here are  posted by MPG

but not without further discussion. (The hallmark of nice notes)

I, too, really liked Kayo's concepts, but I think he chose his words carefully. What he said was "It only matters that the offense is organized and the team takes care of the ball. Generally that's the responsibility of the point guard." Then he went on to say basically, as I interpreted his post, those duties are needed, but not necessary by the traditional point guard. In other words the team does not need a "primary ball handler", but must take care of the ball.

Niele has seen (as has others) a 6'11" Bucks player bring up the ball on offense and go back to guard a post player on defense.

I agree with your addition that someone has to ensure everyone knows the defensive alignment. I also agree with your next two notes.

I agree that typically "positionless" has referred to the 2, 3, and 4. I was more interested in the NBA style "positionless" offense that included all positions. I think you are right in implying that women's college basketball is not ready for that. Personally I would not like to see it. Like lenny97, I'm no fan of the NBA. But could we be heading to a bunch of 6'1", 6'2", and 6'3" players who "take care of the ball" and seek their own shot? Muffet has said Maddy is that type of player, and Sam, while not the quickest, can handle the ball. Ali is close, as is Sonia. North Carolina and UConn seem to be stockpiling that type of player.

I agree with you and others that Olivia Miles can do it all. Whether or not a traditional point guard is needed, we have one coming.