Social Media Snooping: Iriafen and Fudd in 2021; Some '22ers
by dillon77 (2020-06-10 18:01:09)
Edited on 2020-06-10 18:23:42

Now that the new coaching staff members are reasonably well (re)entrenched at ND, I decided to look at a combination of following/follower lists to see what players that Ivey, Owens, Mabrey & Washington are following on twitter.

KIKI IRIAFEN
Perhaps the most interesting was Kiki Iriafen, a 6'2" forward from Harvard-Westlake H.S., who is rated #9 on the 2021 prospect list by Hoopgurlz.

Niele follows her on Instagram. Coincidentally, DaBall on The Boneyard tipped Orangutan and I off to an instagram story that shows her working out with one Marina Mabrey.

Iriafen, whom own MPG likes, was recently named co-MVP this season in the Mission League in the Los Angeles region.

Some comments on her game:
- "Athletic front court prospect plays with finesse and power in the key; superior length cleans the glass, elevates over defenders in the key with soft touch on jump shot; superb in transition game; quick-leaper, a defensive presence in the paint; impacts as a high major prospect in the class of 2021." (Dan Olson, Hoopgurlz)

- "She does most of her damage in the paint. I think she is in ways similar to Brianna Turner; maybe not as polished as Turner was in HS, but similar ceiling, and has the hops, finesse, rise above game that Turner has." (DaBall, contributor to the Boneyard, whose assessments I like.)

- "What I've seen and read about her makes me think she'd be an excellent complement to Nat Marshall." (Dillon's druthers).

Some other points on Iriafen:

- That's an instagram story post below, which will disappear soon, so take a look see.
- There apparently is mutual interest with Stanford, UConn, Baylor and Stanford.
- Harvard-Westlake is one of the top private schools in California, let alone LA, and sends it's graduates to quite the array of top (private) colleges. ND is not listed as one of the faves (Stanford is), but -- hey -- let's throw hoops into the equation.
- Plus, the concept of playing with Miles has hopefully got to be a lure to any player, particularly a forward who is looking for an entry pass.

AZZI FUDD
The only other top Hoopgurlz prospect not committed is, of course, the number #1 player, Azzi Fudd.

Niele is following both Azzi and her dad, Tim Fudd, which is not a surprise since she probably initiated this relationship "back in the day." Remember, Fudd came to "Nielefest" in 2017!

UConn, for many internet recruiting fans, is still the presumed favorite; so much so that Boneyarders are starting to freak out about any mention thereof. This is driven primarily/partially by the fact that good friend Paige Bueckers is going there.

I'd give UConn a slight edge, primarily because Fudd has been been there so often. But, the Fudds are no stranger to Notre Dame, either, and it's not as if Azzi and Sam don't know and/or like each other. (Remember, Azzi went to Sam's commitment announcement ceremony.)

Plus, the signing of Olivia Miles is an interesting one: Miles is a true PG who could make it her life's mission to set up Fudd, as well as Citron, Campbell, Sam, etc. Bueckers is listed as a pg, but she also slips into the combo mode.

2022 PROSPECTS

Here are four names that ND coaches are following:

- Lauren Betts, the 6'7" center from Colorado (#1 in HG). CO (Carole Owens) saw her play in Chile with the U.S. National team and has been following her, as was Beth Cunningham.
- Timea Gardiner, the 6'2" forward from Utah (#6 HG). CO and Niele are following her. Gardiner reminds me a bit of Naz Hillmon, the forward at Michigan who ND was interested in for awhile. Gardiner was both a pounder and jump shooter in Chile.
- KK Bransford, 5'10" guard from Cincinnati (#9). This is one tough guard, who -- surprise -- also played on that team in Chile. Came off the bench and offered a different game than Verhulst, Citron, etc.: She goes to the hoop. Hard. And draws fouls. (Sound familiar?).
- Acacia Hayes, 5'7" PG from Tennessee (#45). Michaela has been in touch with this Hayes sister, the 4th hoopster in the family. She's strictly a lead guard, unlike Alasia, who played combo guard in HS.
No idea what's going on here given older sis, Katlyn G. playing lead for a year and, oh yeah, Ms. Miles.

- While I don't see lots of social media interaction, we do know that Niele Ivey has offered Ayanna Patterson, the very tall wing from Fr. Wayne area (#3 HG). Patterson is a wing so she could match up with an Iriafen and Gardiner, easily.

- Co (Coquese) is also following 2022's Sa'Mya Smith from Texas (#15), a 6'4" combo forward. I've never quite heard that term before, but would guess she can play both inside and outside, rebound and shoot the mid-range J. Box out and pass? I'm guessing Co knew her during her year at Oklahoma, but if she thinks she's worth pursuing for ND, keep it going.

Replies: