The Azzi Fudd Question
by MPG (2020-06-11 10:42:30)

We are now more than a third of the way through June and as Dillon reminded us yesterday, eight of the top ten prospects for 2021 on HG/ESPNW have announced commitments. Why hasn't Azzi Fudd made a public commitment? Here are three possible answers:

1. She has sworn allegiance to Yukon King, but won't announce it until the mutually agreed strategic moment. Or she could be waiting for her high school to re-open so that she can have a press conference to make her announcement. She has certainly earned that right.

2. She has committed to another school and is waiting to announce it until she thinks the time is right. Although if I were the coach who had just won this recruiting battle, I would want it to be on social media and the internet as soon as possible because it would greatly add to my recruiting momentum for 2021 and 2022.

3. Azzi may simply be undecided at this time. If so, then ND should be a contender. We know that she visited campus at least twice: October 2017 and December 2018. As a result, she has known Niele Ivey as an associate coach and recruiting coordinator. Maybe Azzi now likes the idea of having Niele as her head coach and knows that a commitment to ND would guarantee Niele having a great start to her head coaching career. Maybe the idea of Coquese Washington as her position coach is appealing. Maybe her time away from basketball due to injury and now the pandemic has allowed her to think more deeply about what she wants from her overall college education. Maybe...

The Mabry pickup was a good move..
by ndamage  (2020-06-13 12:02:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This pickup shows that we will have enough bodies in practice to challenge Fudd to elevate her game to the next level. As a team, you need to have reinforcements to challenge a player that is considered to be the best at her position. In addition, the player will receive a top-notch education at ND. This strategy turns out to be a no lose proposition.

Wow- I have never seen that version. Spine-tingling performa *
by drmurray  (2020-06-12 09:37:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What brand sneakers does she wear? *
by traditionnevergraduates  (2020-06-12 06:41:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Of Course, Options 3 and 2 Are Better and Best....
by dillon77  (2020-06-11 15:23:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...the realist in me would be overjoyed to still have a fighting chance against the Court of Storrs.

Like you, I think it would necessitate another round of visits between the Fudds and the ND Coaching Staff. Maybe Azzi and Tim would like Coquese and Mike. Love the new facilities...And maybe Niele could coordinate the visit with newly committed Sonia Citron and Olivia Miles so Ms. Fudd can see whom she'd be with for the next four years.

And maybe we're the mystery choice. However, I can't see the reason for letting that fester....I have a huge aversion to silent commits (there's a four-letter word in there...I-O-W-A..that comes to mind).

The announcement at school could make sense, but Fudd is her own brand, not beholden to anyone or anything at this point.

Stay tuned.
However, I think one just has to give their best shot: hope for the best, but plan for the rest. And I think that's one reason so many Irish coaches are following KK Bransford, who is a tough, top-10 rated guard who can take over games. Maybe not Fudd (who is?), but she's got a tough game that would mesh well with Olivia and Sonia (already has in Chile) and Alli, Sam, etc.

Nice touch
by BabaGhanouj  (2020-06-11 12:48:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

on the link. I had to listen to it all the way through (and may go back). Any ball player with half her passion would be dangerous. Of course they would burn out and die by 27.

Maybe we can imagine Janis as a coach on the sideline! *
by MPG  (2020-06-11 14:22:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Odd Note: Football Coach Jimmy Johnson Went To Same HS
by dillon77  (2020-06-11 15:13:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...it both boggles the mind and makes all the sense in the world. JJ probably thought he was dealing with a creature from another planet when he sat in class with her. On the other hand, she might've thought the same thing.

From what I just read, Johnson gave Joplin a rough time
by MPG  (2020-06-11 19:45:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

because Janice was "different."

Why Does That Not Surprise Me? *
by dillon77  (2020-06-12 09:28:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Added to #3
by NDoggie78  (2020-06-11 10:48:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe she had been leaning to UConn especially when Niele had left for Memphis and now Niele's return has complicated her decision.

And maybe she doesn't want to decide when things are in limbo - waiting to visit once more since things have changed at ND (I have my blue & gold glasses on)