Input Wanted on ND/UConn Floppers, Whiners, Trash Talkers...
by dillon77 (2020-06-13 11:13:11)
Edited on 2020-06-13 13:00:02

As many of you have/could have guessed, the Dara Mabrey commitment has resurrected the usual litany of charges levied at Mabreys and ND players in general over at the Boneyard, including those listed on the headline.

Rather than refute most of them (hey, this is hoops, not choir practice), I'd like to get the input of The Bench on what members of ND and UConn (most Boneyarders think their players are perfect in every which way) do well at some things that are part of the game, but usually don't make positive headlines. Hey, it happens. There are some positive elements, too.

I'll list a topic, then suggest a player or coach from each squad.
Please add in your nomination and comments in your reply.

I'll formulate the results and post here first, then try to get input on the Boneyard; then compile both. This should be an interesting exercise.

Here goes:

BEST AT TAKING A CHARGE (Legit)
ND
- Koko Nelson
- Natalie Novosel
- Marta Sniezek

UConn
- Gaby Williams
- Moriah Jefferson

BEST AT FLOPPING
ND
- Marina (she is pretty good at it...)
- Hannah Huffman (she'd pump her fist on the way down!)

UConn
- Dolson (she will appear on many of these lists)
- Diana Taurasi

WHINING/COMPLAINING

UConn
- KLS (she'd have the pouty face on everything that didn't go her way)
- Taurasi (for someone so good, she whines a lot)
- Dolson (every ref call is debatable)
- Geno A. (always working refs...)

ND
- Becca Bruszewski (emotional, demonstrative. Could be misinterpreted)
- Dev Peters (not afraid to let her emotions be known)
- Marina (what you see is what you get...emotional)
- Arike (would get frustrated if her shot didn't fall)

I AM NOT NOT GOING TO GIVE UP EVER...DAMMIT...COME AGAIN
UConn
- Sue Bird
- Taurasi
- Stewie (in her subdued way...)
- Gabby W. (she killed us)

ND
- Skylar
- Ace (would rally the troops)
- K-Mac
- Arike/Marina (Tennessee, 4th quarter of Baylor game)

I'll LET MY PLAY MAKE THE LOUDEST STATEMENT...

UConn
- Stewie
- Sue Bird
- Napheesa Collier

ND
- Jewell Loyd
- Jess Shepard and/or Bri Turner
- Michaela Mabrey (when you hit 40-footers in front of Geno, that's a statement in its own right)

And a different one....NCAA GRANTING WAIVERS:

ND
Positive
- Jess Shepard (the best conspiracy theory ever at the Boneyard)
- Maddie Cable (was she given a medical year due to her foot issues?

Negative
- Alohi Gilman, football (immediate eligibility was rejected the same year as Jess was approved.)
- Tim Abromitis, men's hoops, medical redshirt denied
- Appeal for taking away football wins because of bogus summer tutor denied.

UConn

Negative (and I mean a questionable bogus call)
- Evina Westbrook denied immediate eligibility (given the f-ups at Tennessee, that looked like a natural. UT must've been pissed).

Positive
- ???

And lastly....player you most admire the most for play, way she comports herself and represents her school and team. In short, you wish she had gone to ND:

UCONN
- Napheesa Collier
- Sue Bird
- Stewie

ND
(this is primarily up to UConn fans, but I'm interested in what ND fans think)
- Natalie Achonwa
- K-Mac
- Jess Shepard/Brianna Turner
- Ruth Riley
- Michaela Mabrey

some from the forgotten early 2000s
by Go_Crazy_Folks  (2020-06-14 11:20:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Never give up: Megan Duffy

Let my play make the loudest statement: Jeneka Joyce and Breona Gray were both calm and cool at all times.

Here's a category.
by BabaGhanouj  (2020-06-13 22:20:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Most interesting interview if you didn't mind a little snarkiness and you were willing to spend the rest of your day as he collected his thoughts and eventually got out what was on his mind.
—Geno

Most interesting interview done by a very quick mind.
—Muffet

Also, I'm not sure what objections the Boneyard would have against Jackie Young?

Well, outside of 30+ pts in that semifinal.....
by dillon77  (2020-06-14 06:41:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...Jackie Young is a perfectly "I'll let my game do my talking" kind of player. However, Geneo's strategy dared her, and she reminded people that she is, still, the leading scorer ever in Indiana HS history! Good call.

Kelly Faris from Indiana (Heritage Christian). I
by Homeboy73  (2020-06-13 18:59:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

never liked her, but cannot give a rational explanation why. Maybe just resented an Indiana girl going to Storrs. She always seemed to hustle. A for effort.

Sat. Evening Update: Great Input So Far!
by dillon77  (2020-06-13 17:52:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Big Takeaway is that The Bench admired Napheesa Collier...and Maya Moore.
Dolson is clearly viewed as a first class setter of moving picks and a whiner. And KLS is a "neck snapper?" Interesting story.

Great input on Alica Ratay letting her shooting doing the talking.

Will welcome any input and additions on/to my suggestions.

Dolson should be added to the Hive of Scum and Villainy.
by 1NDGal  (2020-06-13 19:44:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Her pre-halftime performance at the ND-UConn NCAA Final in 2014 is up there with anything USC ever did.

Didn't See Boneyard reactions to post. Did I miss them? *
by T-Bone  (2020-06-13 16:23:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I Have Not Posted Anything There Yet...
by dillon77  (2020-06-14 19:09:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..once again, my idea on this was based on the usual negative being thrown at ND players once Dara posted.

Rather than try to deflect the voluminous single shots, I decided to possible take it on, but open it up:
- if ND players can be accused of certain things, let's own up and see which Irish player really did them.
- on the other hand, it takes two to tango..who are the UConn players who also did a few of these things?

I suggested a few folks on the board to get the discussion going.

Somewhat (pleasantly) surprisingly, most of the responses have been of a positive variety, for both UConn and ND. So I may reflect that in my post.

As most know, I'm generally not a negative poster, but even a very patient middle child of an RC family can get po'd seeing the same crap thrown at the wall. The good news is that most posters tend to also throw something to clean it up.

Stay tuned....

p.s. Thanks for the tip on Doson's relatives...however, steph's illegal pics are not something I conjured up!

Some other thoughts and questions
by SixShutouts66  (2020-06-14 21:51:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For us Jackie and Lindsay strike me as fits for they let their playing do their talking and would be one of the "least-disliked Irish" on the BY. I think any of the Mabreys causes a Pavlovian response and wouldn't be respected. Likewise the waiver issue with Jessica seems to make her a target on the BY.

On the UCONN side I have a grudging respect for Kia Nurse and to an extent Morgan Tuck (IMO some of her success was due to the presence of Stewie). I don't particularly like Mosqueda-Lewis since she never developed as an athlete and was dependent on being on great teams for her shot - but she killed us at times.

Thanks for Input!
by dillon77  (2020-06-14 22:16:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You're right about Lindsay: another person that is universally respected on virtually any board.

"You can't handle the truth"
by SixShutouts66  (2020-06-14 15:33:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Many inhabitants of the Boneyard are relatives of Stephanie Dolson. Any of Dillon's negatives about UCONN players or positives about ours will be met with incredulity by many of theirs.

With the Lynx, Napheesa Collier has been pure class. *
by PWK2  (2020-06-13 14:11:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Add Maya Moore to the "good" list *
by SixShutouts66  (2020-06-13 14:31:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Agreeance. Just wish she would announce definitively
by PWK2  (2020-06-14 07:06:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

if she's retired or not.

You're forgetting a "let my play make the statement" player
by cbiebel  (2020-06-13 14:00:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Alicia Ratay

I was at the RAC when she went 7 of 7 from 3 point range...as a freshman! That sounds impressive enough, but then you have to factor in that ND was down by 6 with 25 seconds left in the game and everyone knew that she was getting the ball both times and even with a hand in her face, she drained 2 threes.

On top of that, when she hit the three to tie the game, her teammates started jumping on her in celebration, she, a freshman, yelled at them to stop because they still had to play overtime!

Great Reminder on Ratay....thanks. *
by dillon77  (2020-06-13 17:45:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd point out that as Bird said, KLS isn't a "flopper"...
by cbiebel  (2020-06-13 13:50:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She's a "neck snapper." She jokingly said this during a game that she was doing online commentary with Taurasi and had invited 2 former ND players to join in on (I forget who it was). After one obviously bad flinch by KLS trying to draw a foul (when the ND player might not even have touched her, or barely did if she had), one of the former ND players mentioned that UConn players flopped, too, see? Bird jokingly replied "That's not a flop. That's a neck snap..."

Going back and watching other games, I started to notice that yeah, KLS would often do that same neck snap when a player got near her.

Edit: I'd take Riley off that last list. It's been a while, so maybe you forgot, but a lot of UConn fans hated Riley, claiming she got away with using her elbows too much. I remember one UConn poster mentioning that Beth Cunningham was the last ND player that she like (IOW, one who was a great player from a Final Four team who never beat UConn). For some reason, after ND beat UConn, the ND players weren't as well liked...

I liked Maya Moore and Rebecca Lobo. I disliked Dolson with
by MPG  (2020-06-13 13:48:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

her moving screens, not to mention her whining when she was called for one of them. The rest of their players have blended into a hazy memory that I have no wish to revisit. I guess I remember Stewart but I think that was from an alternative universe.

I truly enjoyed how Skylar, Kayla, both Natalies, and the two national championship teams took it to the Storrsians.

Cable was a run-of-the-mill 5th year.
by NDBass  (2020-06-13 13:07:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It would've been one of the worst decisions in NCAA history if she wasn't granted a 5th year. She didn't play at all her freshman year due to the stress fractures.

Also, ND's appeal of the vacated football wins should've been in the positive section. It was a BS move on ND's part. Rules were broken and ineligible players played. Vacating those wins was the right decision by the NCAA. Jenkins himself said ND would voluntarily vacate wins if it was found ineligible players played. They did and then he whined about the NCAA vacating wins and appealed the decision. A blatant lie from the president of Notre Dame, who is a priest. That's a shameful negative.

Yes, I don't understand the extra year issue with Cable.
by BabaGhanouj  (2020-06-13 22:10:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She couldn't and didn't play one second of her freshman year. She lost the year because of injury (just like an ACL). Not sure why this would be a thing one way or the other.

I could see her included in "let my play do the talking". She was pretty much above the twaddle.

She could also take a legitimate charge without complaint or embellishment.

Thx for Input....Will Adjust Accordingly. *
by dillon77  (2020-06-13 17:49:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I apologize for starting out with a positive
by BabaGhanouj  (2020-06-13 11:43:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for UConn, but the best player, sport, attitude, cheerleader, and most likely to win the Nobel Peace Prize would be Napheesa Collier. She just went to the wrong school for some unimaginable reason. I'll have to think about other categories.

Agree. *
by drmurray  (2020-06-13 13:31:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'll Add a Category for This....
by dillon77  (2020-06-13 12:53:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You Won't See Me Complaining about 'Pheesa....ever.

Napheesa is 1 player I could never find a reason to dislike *
by Jon  (2020-06-13 14:10:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Seconded *
by CKDexterHaven  (2020-06-13 12:19:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post