Dara, the dynamic darling of Manasquan
by BabaGhanouj (2020-06-22 15:25:11)
Edited on 2020-06-23 09:08:04

In reply to: BGI article on how Dara Mabrey fits with ND's future.  posted by MPG

The Dara Mabrey situation is knotty. It feels so right for a Mabrey to be Irish, but each marches to their own drum and Dara liked the beat of Virginia Tech. When Dara “entered the portal”, I expected her to be Irish the next day. When that didn’t happen, I was shocked that it happened months later—after a coaching change, and two more top guard verbals to Notre Dame.

At this point, it was hard to decipher Niele’s thinking. Most on the Bench identified Notre Dame’s needs as posts, forwards, battleships and cruisers. Some saw the need strong enough to call for a transfer. Then Coach Ivey filled the ever dwindling slots with another combo guard. At least we pretty much knew our aspirations for Azzi were over.

The fire and drive will be welcome, but where will she play? I suppose a likely scenario would have Dara join MPG’s A-team. We have no indication, other than personnel, that Niele will depart from the standard steady 7 in college basketball, but she is coming from the NBA where more players are used, albeit the games are longer.

Does Dara start (which the article paints as likely), making the possibility of MPG’s A-team (Anaya, Abby, Allison, Alasia and Amirah) a truly dramatic (all 5 A’s coming in at the same time) event? Most likely she must sit until next year when 2 more outstanding guards come on board.

Like hempfield, I have to believe our new coach has a plan (quite a few of them, in fact). So, how do others hope this will play out?

Here are Dara’s numbers for her first two years as a Hokie along with last year’s guards and Marina’s first two years.

Replies: