McCallie just stepped down (link)
by okerland (2020-07-02 10:40:25)

The next coach needs to do some immediate recruiting.
by Hickster  (2020-07-04 13:43:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Based upon Hoopgurlz:
- 2020 class has just 1 Top 100 recruit - #37 Vanessa DeJesus 5’8” PG from California
- 2021 class there are no recruits committed - not sure where they stand with others

I am not aware of the previous classes, but I understand that in the past, Duke was shedding transfers.

The new coach will need to maximize current players abilities for the next 2 years, hit the transfer portal, and land some decent recruits in 2021 & strong recruits in 2022. I would suspect they will need a great hire, or they could slip into the abyss.

El Medico Blanco, true to form ..
by CJC  (2020-07-04 22:07:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a day late and a dollar short in realizing that one of his head coaches is driving a program into a ditch.

Interesting Takes on That Video
by dillon77  (2020-07-03 09:47:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..from CamrnCrz1974 ("Good Guy for a Dookie"), which he posted on the Boneyard:

"While I might have done a dance while singing "Hava Nagila" earlier (before texting @EricLA , @ucbart , and others), two things that really struck me about Joanne P. McCallie's statements in the video upon my second viewing:

"1. She appeared to infer that because Duke did not offer her a contract extension (and she was, in fact, told by Duke that she would not be receiving one now or at the end of the contract), Duke was responsible for the uncertainty that would follow a coach in her last year of the contract.

"2. She stated that because of the pandemic, the 2019-20 team “has not been fully recognized for the record-setting crescendo to the season.

"These two statements encapsulate a number of my thoughts and opinions about McCallie and her tenure at Duke.

"- Not taking responsibility for her actions and failing to acknowledge that certain events are the results of HER conduct/behavior; and

"- Attempting to glorify mediocrity and insist on praise for “not bad” achievements by referencing them as somehow historic."

------------------------------------------------------------------

Agree with all of these comments.
Personally, I' won't forget her nagging habit of never referring to other players by name; just by number. I'll never forget when a reporter at a post-game presser asked her about an ND player by name (I think it was Maddie Cable) and when she gave the answer, she looked down at her scorecard and said "Well, #22..." Oy!

She always seemed
by BB Junky  (2020-07-02 14:25:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to have talent, but she could not go as far as I thought they could. Duke would play great great one game and lay an egg the next.

As far as the next coach I don't believe, (my opinion) Beth is on any high profile school's radar. Megan is a much hotter coaching prospect than BC. She brings more energy, charisma etc. I think MD will move up the ladder quickly if she can put a couple of solid years together.

Another example of coach over reaching *
by NTGD  (2020-07-14 18:39:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes, that was the charge against McCallie.
by BabaGhanouj  (2020-07-02 18:18:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That, and to be fair, the amount of crucial injuries her teams had to overcome.

Is there factual evidence behind the “performance not equal to the talent” criticism?

I checked last season for the women who played greater than 20 minutes per game (with the exception of Miela Goodchild who is from Australia without any high school rating). Those five players I compared to Notre Dame’s five with greater than 20 minutes per game.

While ND had a slight advantage in average high school rating, this year I have developed a system that takes into account the amount of playing experience. I won’t bother to explain it at this time, but, accounting for experience, the five Duke players had a better 'talent' rating.

The calculated Efficiency for those players during the year averaged 11.1 for Duke and 12.6 for Notre Dame. So even with our horrible year, ND out played Duke (even though they beat us by 3 points at Durham). (Note: For comparison, Connecticut had an Efficiency rating of their starting 5 of 17.7 last year.)

Obviously we would need a lot more evidence, but I feel as you, that Duke never rose to their talent level.

One of the few charges Duke drew during her leadership *
by drmurray  (2020-07-06 21:01:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She flopped poorly
by SixShutouts66  (2020-07-06 21:34:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I know I should have done better with your lollipop. Blame it on Davie, as you have wisley pointed out is ndnation's "42".

Wonder if she asked for an extension
by SixShutouts66  (2020-07-02 13:46:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She was on the last year of her contract, and Duke had been sliding down from its once-exalted position. Most people thought she wouldn't get the extension unless a miracle occurred. The timing of the move is extremely strange (unless there is something medical). As I pondered, one reason could be that she asked for the extension and was given a NO or We'll See and resigned in spite.

Number 4 had a nice little run. *
by hibernianangst  (2020-07-02 12:09:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Forgoing most of her final year of salary
by RISteve  (2020-07-02 11:24:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She asked that had salary be reallocated to her staff

Per Raoul

Link, below

That's a shame. *
by NDBass  (2020-07-02 10:53:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I hate to see her go. Maybe Beth Cunningham has a shot
by MPG  (2020-07-02 10:42:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

at that job or at least being the lead assistant on the new coaching staff.

ND Hoops Recruits hearing rumors-Beth to Duke
by RISteve  (2020-07-02 21:42:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Twitter feed emphasized he has no idea how reliable these sites are, but they are mentioning Beth.

Two links.

Copy and paste this one:
https://twitter.com/ndhoopsrecruits/status/1278844602661900288?s=21

Link, below

I think she'd be a smart choice for Duke if she's interested
by Domerduck  (2020-07-02 13:18:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Don't know if Duke could stand an ND grad. Still Beth was passed over by ND when Niele replaced Muffet. I think she's ripe for a bigger job with something to prove. I believe she'd be effective and knows the ACC as well as a University with very high academic requirements.

Resume in 9 yrs as head coach at VCU: 167-115 (59.2%), last 5 years took them to post season (2008-12). When she left VCU she become one of Muffet's top assistant . Resume at ND: 259-41 (86.3%). In her 8 years at ND was in every NCAA tourney played with 1 National Championship and 5 Final 4's. Top 3 players she recruited and coached at ND are all still in the WNBA: 2019 #1 draft pick Jackie Young, teammate Marina Mabrey, and WNBA All Star Kayla Mcbride.

One Thought Hit Me on That Over the Night...
by dillon77  (2020-07-03 09:53:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

- the possible Beth to UNC for lead assistant under Courtney Banghart came and went awfully quickly.

Maybe, just maybe, word on the street (or at least between Kevin White and Jack Swarbrick/MM/Beth) was that Coach P's tenure was up in the air/coming to a close and there was a bigger fish to fry a few miles down the road from Chapel Hill.

As Domerduck points out, Beth certainly knows the league, the school and the region (VCU is not all that far away).

If she was to get it, that would be a hotbed of competition in the Triad, with Beth at Duke, Banghart and UNC and Wes Moore at NC State. And Niele's up at ND.

Stay tuend.

Two Coaches With Dayton Bloodlines & A Few More...
by dillon77  (2020-07-02 13:14:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Both are young. And both are worth taking a shot in, in my humble opinion:

- Shauna Green, current head coach of the Dayton Flyers. She's done great work there.

- Megan Duffy, who is from the area, and of course has the ND pedigree. While she's only had one year at Marquette, what a year it was. If I'm White, I at least bring her in for an interview.

Also:

- Joanna Bernabei-McNamee, the current HC at Boston College. Young, eager, dynamic. Don't know how this would go over (poaching an ACC rival), but White works in strange ways.

- Katie Meier, HC at Miami. Another ACC rival but she's a Duke alum.

- Joanne Boyle, the former UVA and U-Cal Head Coach who retired to ensure her adopted daughter (from Africa) could stay in this country. Success it worked.

She never quite got it going at UVA but I think she did a better job than Thompson and, guess what, she's a Duke alum.

- Tina Langley, HC at Rice. She's made that school relevant with transfers and smart recruiting. Prior to that, she was at Maryland, so she knows the Atlantic area.

Lastly, I always had a nightmare that the Duke job would open up before ND's and Niele might end up there. Timing can be everything.

I could see them going after Tina Thompson at UVA *
by goirish01  (2020-07-02 18:00:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

With All Due Respect, Wny?
by dillon77  (2020-07-02 18:17:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Through two seasons with Thompson as head coach, the Cavaliers are 25-36 with a 13-21 record in ACC play.

Joanne Boyle, who was not stellar during her 7 years at UVA, still ended up at 129-99 and her last three years were 18-16, 20-13 and 19-14.

She didn't leave the bench dry when she left for personal reasons: Jocelyn Willoughby was just a sophomore and she was good enough to get drafted into the WNBA.

Thompson was a good post coach at Texas and helped recruit the Houston area for the Longhorns, but I don't think she's a proven quantity at the HC post yet.