Refreshing Sonia Citron
by BabaGhanouj (2020-07-06 10:24:49)
Edited on 2020-07-06 12:23:36

In this long basketball drought toward…well, perhaps a longer drought, one thing that we can always count on is hope of a bright future. Hope sustains us all, even when it may not necessarily be supported by the past.

One happy hopeful is Sonia Citron. We all know that Payton Verhulst won the MVP award for the FIBA U16 Women’s Americas 2019 games. She was deserving, but arguably won because she was high scorer, 14.5 points per game—just edging out Sonia, who had 13.3. With so many stats describing the game, it’s strange that awards still focus on ‘points per game’.

Both started and played about the same number of minutes, 19.3 per game for Sonia and 17.5 for Payton. Both had exactly the same number of rebounds, 17. But Sonia had twice as many assists, 11 vs. 5 and twice as many steals, 19 (highest on the team) vs. 7. Additionally, Payton took many more shots than Sonia, 75 to 58. Thus, Sonia’s True Shooting Percentage was much higher, an astounding 66% vs. 56.7% for Payton. Likewise Calculated Efficiency for Sonia was 17.2, or 35.6 when projected for 40 minutes. Payton’s was 13.3 and 30.5.

So, happy hoop dreams,…at least during the 6 FIBA games, Sonia was clearly statistically the better player.

Of course, 6-7 Lauren Betts had a better Efficiency rating than anyone, with 24.0 or 48.7 over 40 minutes! Yes, hope in the future sustains us.

Nice to see a NYC guard. *
by BIG MAC  (2020-07-06 19:42:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Your subject line reads like the trendy new summer drink.
by PWK2  (2020-07-06 13:34:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The wife and I repaired to the patio after work and enjoyed a few refreshing Sonia Citrons. Yum!

The citron (Citrus medica) is a large fragrant citrus fruit
by Domerduck  (2020-07-06 13:51:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The citron (Citrus medica) is a large fragrant citrus fruit with a thick rind. It is one of the three original citrus fruits from which all other citrus types developed through natural hybrid speciation or artificial hybridization

Yes, original, cool, refreshing, and All-Name team? *
by BabaGhanouj  (2020-07-06 13:55:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Now we need someone to develop the mixture for this drink.
by MPG  (2020-07-06 14:05:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am picturing a type of sangria.

Sonia is on her way to being a legend before she even arrives on campus!

Recipe for the Refreshing Sonia Citron:
by PWK2  (2020-07-06 14:20:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1 Part Absolut Citron
1 Part Cucumber Juice
½ Part Lillet Blanc
½ Part Elderflower Liqueur
½ Part Lemon Juice
½ Part Simple Syrup
Soda Water
2 Slices Cucumber

How to mix:

Fill a shaker with ice cubes. Add Absolut Citron, Lillet Blanc, elderflower liqueur, cucumber juice, lemon juice and simple syrup. Shake and strain into a highball glass. Top up with soda water. Garnish with two cucumber slices.

I'm glad to see it is shaken, not stirred. *
by MPG  (2020-07-07 08:56:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sounds delicious!
by GriffinGold16  (2020-07-06 23:52:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I've only got the lemon juice and cucumber at home, so it'll have to wait.

Thx for Posting. A Few Thoughts:
by dillon77  (2020-07-06 12:38:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

- Love the idea that she is definite, long-limbed 6'1" athlete who had an older brother to tangle with day in, day out.

- Soccer is a great complementary sport for hoopsters for everything from getting up and down the court to court/field presence, particularly on defense. Fill that lane!

- Love, love the idea that Jackie Young is her favorite ND player. That tells us exactly what kind of attitude the Irish will be getting. Do what it takes, be well-rounded. Let your actions talk.

- Of course, the picture -- taken in Harlem -- brings a smile to your face with Sonia racing upcourt against Olivia Miles. You throw in 5'11" Alli Campbell and that is a tall bunch of guards.

- Like Baba said, you manage to get a 6'7" center named Lauren Betts and that allows both Miles and Citron to be even better at what they do.

Go Sonia. Go Irish!

Support for one of your points.
by BabaGhanouj  (2020-07-06 13:28:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would like to second your point that soccer is a great complementary sport for hoops. Beyond me, Malcolm Gladwell also endorses multiple sports when young. In the teenage years, specialization may not be a good thing. That can come later. Not only do multiple sports teach you lessons you would never otherwise learn (both physical and psychological), but they may also reduce the chance of injury by not repeating the same motion over and over again.

I know this is a favorite theme of yours, but I don't think it can be repeated enough.

By the way Malcolm Gladwell, in his fifties, can still run a 5 minute mile.

Thx. Forgot To Bring Up That Miles Is a Soccer Player, Too *
by dillon77  (2020-07-06 14:53:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've got to add this here: (link)
by BabaGhanouj  (2020-07-07 10:50:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Arike O., Another All-State Soccer Player ..
by dillon77  (2020-07-07 11:34:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..of course, I seem to recall Bri being a volleyball player and I'm guessing Jackie could master the decathalon, obstacle courses or just about anything in a few weeks.

As was Marta Sniezek. Soccer is especially helpful to guards
by MPG  (2020-07-07 13:34:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in developing vision, balance, and toughness.