Stanford eliminates 11 of 36 varsity sports. Just crazy.
by RISteve (2020-07-08 13:34:32)

other than fencing, they did not drop a single sport that ND
by DBCSMITH  (2020-07-09 01:23:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

plays.

And They'll Still Have More Than Most Universities....
by dillon77  (2020-07-08 18:38:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..according to the release, the 36 sports were the most in the country, save one. They cited that they'll still need a budget of $200 million to keep the 25 sports going.

ND, according to my count has some 22 sports (they list cross country and track and field as one sport, but they both field men's and women's squads).

BTW, how did Stanford determine these 11 sports? I've cut and pasted that. After reading over some of the reasons cited, I wondered why some of these sports were ever given varsity status (you'll see what I mean).

From Stanford:

These 11 sports were decided upon after a comprehensive evaluation of all of our sports across a broad set of criteria and considerations, including, but not limited to:

- Sponsorship of the sport at the NCAA Division I level
- National youth and postgraduate participation in the sport
- Local and national fan interest in the sport
- Potential expense savings from the elimination of the sport
-Incremental investments required to keep or put the sport in a position to achieve competitive excellence on the national level
- History of the sport at Stanford
-Prospects for future success of the sport at Stanford
- Impact on gender equity and Title IX compliance
- Impact on the diversity of our student-athlete population
- Impact on the student-athlete experience across all sports, now and in the future

For example, simply looking at sponsorship of the sports at a national level as one consideration:

Of the 11 sports being discontinued, six (lightweight rowing, men’s rowing, co-ed and women’s sailing, squash, synchronized swimming) are not NCAA-sponsored championship sports.

All 11 sports being discontinued are sponsored by less than 22% of the more than 350 Division I institutions, and nine (men’s and women’s fencing, lightweight rowing, men’s rowing, co-ed and women’s sailing, squash, synchronized swimming, men’s volleyball) are sponsored by less than 9%.

There are only two other Division I field hockey and fencing programs on the West Coast, and there are no other lightweight rowing, sailing, squash or synchronized swimming programs on the West Coast.

Many of these sports currently compete without a full complement of scholarships (e.g. wrestling), coaches and resources. After careful analysis, we concluded there was no realistic path to ensuring that they have all of the resources needed to compete at the highest level without hindering our ability to support our other 25 varsity sports.

All of the impacted sports will have the opportunity to compete at the club level after their upcoming varsity seasons are complete, assuming sufficient student interest, but will need to do so in a financially self-sustaining manner that ensures the safety and well-being of the participants. We will immediately begin working with the student-athletes, parents, alumni and supporters of these sports to work toward providing robust opportunities for participation at the club level.

Here is the press release. I don't think their endowment
by MPG  (2020-07-08 13:44:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

supports any of those sports. Endowment earnings are meant to spent on areas specified by the donor such as the Karen and Kevin Keyes endowment for the NDWBB head coach position.

Once again, men's wrestling is sacrificed on the sacrificial
by BIG MAC  (2020-07-08 17:54:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Altar of Title IX compliance.

I Remember When ND dropped Wrestling. The Year They
by hempfield75  (2020-07-08 18:53:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

dropped the program. They finished in the top 25. Every year I have hope
they will reinstate the program. I will never give up hope for it to
happen.

SEG/Chief

Neighbor was a Monogram Club wrestler.
by T-Bone  (2020-07-09 10:48:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Still gets football tix via MC.

If I had to choose between the entirety of women's
by Murcer68  (2020-07-08 18:27:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

sports (which would not exist today as we know it without Title IX) or men's wrestling, I'd choose women's sports.

I wouldn't really want to choose
by BIG MAC  (2020-07-09 12:31:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I don't like to see a situation where an important sport like wrestling is simply dropped. BTW Our men's Olympic Team has trended down. I think part of the answer might be to try to make at least some women's sports more profitable and self sufficient. I think ND is there in basketball and possibly could be there in soccer and lacrosse.

Translation? *
by T-Bone  (2020-07-09 10:50:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post