Baba—a suggestion for an interactive poll
by NOBBYDOMER (2020-07-13 16:45:07)

Sigh, the dog days of COVID....I have a suggestion for one of your signature polls:
Assuming there actually is a season—
ND ladies finish season
Top 4
Top 10
Top 25
Top 50
There are at least two preseason rating articles. I didn’t find the ESPN article well researched.
Really UCONN (ugh), South Carolina, Baylor, Stanford, Etc bring back mega-talent and tremendous recruits (I’ve heard too much about Buecher).
Honestly, ND sucked last year. Even this year with a more complete roster we will have little experience and a new coach. It certainly will be interesting to see how NDNationers feel.

Here it is!
by BabaGhanouj  (2020-07-13 17:16:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Disabled.

Hmm…apparently the poll has been disabled!!!
by BabaGhanouj  (2020-07-14 10:40:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The free service has put a limit on 250 views per month which we benchers, thankfully, have exceeded. I can pay a $250 yearly fee, look for a new service, end the poll at 73 votes, or any other suggestions??

OK, here's an informal, fun side poll:
by BabaGhanouj  (2020-07-13 19:11:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Who thinks that Hempfield voted for "Top 4"?
Me! I want to call him Dr. Pangloss. God bless his soul!

He voted "Top 4 +Azzi +Paige transfer" *
by goirish01  (2020-07-13 19:31:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Last 10 years postseason rank while Niele was an ND coach
by Domerduck  (2020-07-13 18:52:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

2019-#2
2018-#1
2017-#5
2016-#6
2015-#2
2014-#2
2013-#2
2012-#2
2011-#2
2010-#11

Hard to think she won't lead them back to top 10. The last thing that also helps me with thi prediction is that last year there was no Mabrey or Westbeld playing. When you consider the most recent 7 years on this list a Mabrey and/or Westbeld was playing on that team This year we will have at least one and possibly 2.

My thinking as well. *
by 1NDGal  (2020-07-14 09:36:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

great info, Domerduck - thanks! *
by soc  (2020-07-13 21:02:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ha, ha, I love your facts!
by BabaGhanouj  (2020-07-13 18:58:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I only question whether there is more correlation than causation. Some causation, to be sure!

Would Like To Think We'll Get to the Sweet Sixteen....
by dillon77  (2020-07-13 18:08:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..by the end of the season, as the team gets used to the coaching philosophy and each other.

One of the personnel I'm looking at a bunch is Nat Marshall. Will she be able to play this year? If so, at what level of efficiency? She could make a big difference if she comes back in a major way. But if she has a more standard recovery period for an ACL recovery, we won't have her talents and length.

One of the processes that we'll all be paying attention to is what kind of schedule the ACC will play. If the Irish just play an abbreviated ACC schedule, that's a tough start for a (largely) underclass team. We'll have to hope they'll just get better as time goes on.

I agree with your thinking,
by BabaGhanouj  (2020-07-13 18:42:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but I guess I object to your language. We are not allowed to speculate on injuries, but we know Nat Marshall had her operation in January and the "standard recovery period for ACL" is nine months. So we will have her talents and length if everything is standard.

I understand that "standard" is just that, and some feel we should be more cautious about predicting recovery. I also understand that there is speculation that her therapy was slowed by virus closings. However, without being optimistic or pessimistic, she will be ready if she has a standard (9 month) recovery.

What is your measure of a "standard ( 9 month ) recovery?
by MPG  (2020-07-13 22:42:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A return to practice after nine months? A readiness to play at a high level of competition after nine months?

My observation is that ND women's basketball players recovering from ACL surgery have taken at least a year to be ready to play at a high level. In the case of someone who has not yet practiced with the team or played college basketball, I would not expect too much when she returns to the court. Remember how Mik Vaughn played the season following her surgery.

I would guess "a return to practice".
by BabaGhanouj  (2020-07-13 23:56:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The key is everyone is different. As I said, I agree with Dillon. I'm just speaking what is "standard" by the medical profession. She may not be ready to play "at a high level of competition" any time during her freshman year. We all remember Mik, but some have returned in 6 months. I'm not speculating—just pointing out what is standard per the medical profession.

I could cite plenty of examples, some shorter, some longer. I have no idea how long it will take. Here's one that took only 6 months "to play at a high level of competition."

Kendrick Perkins, at 6'10'', has never been a major scorer. However, in averaging 6.2 rebounds and 1.4 blocks per game, he's been influential to the rosters of Boston and Oklahoma City, respectively.

While playing in Boston, Perkins tore his ACL prior to Game 7 in the 2010 playoffs.

To everyone's surprise, the big man made his return only six months after surgery. Although Perkins struggled a bit initially, he used the opportunity to get back into shape and keep a strong presence beneath the basket.

I included a link below for a detailed article of another remarkable recovery (not standard). I include it because it also mentions Skylar (11 months for "high level competition"—that would be November).

The article makes some helpful points. The fact that
by MPG  (2020-07-14 10:44:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ms. Hunter returned to regular season play six months later is impressive; the fact that she was reportedly playing at 65% is disappointing to me because it seems as is if she was rushing the process. ND has tended to have its recovering players take their time which is what I hope ND does with Nat Marshall. I wonder if there is any data on female players that indicates differences between the recovery times for taller players vs those under six feet tall?

Fair Enough, But the Different Goes Both Ways, As You Know
by dillon77  (2020-07-14 08:08:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Brianna Turner was out year & a half+ when she came back and many noted her "burst" speed wasn't quite the same. In fact, articles about her in the Aussie League noted that her speed and quickness were up to speed...nearly two years+ later.

Jessica Shepard chose to not play this year and she's a year past her ACL injury.

So, we can agree everyone is different. Could we have Nat Marshall on the court for practice? Sure. Will we have the Nat we've seen tapes of? ??? That's the point I was raising. Having had knives stuck in my knee multiple times in my 20's, I'm aware of varying stages of recovery (God bless, none since then.)