I did point out something similar during the season
by cbiebel (2020-07-20 10:56:43)

In reply to: The Shocking Truth Behind ND’s Season of Sorrow  posted by BabaGhanouj

At one point, I suggested that UConn wasn't as far from a season like ND's if they had had similar experiences (player with most experience out for the season. 2nd most experienced player out for quite a few games early on, a senior to be leaving early, etc.).

One common response was "You can't compare those particular players being out due to the difference in talent level! Those aren't equal talent rankings!" (Ignoring the fact that I was using playing experience and position, not talent level in my comparison).

Auriemma typically doesn't go that deep most seasons anyway (typically going only 6-7 player deep until they get to the blowout stage), but last year they had a lot less experience in their backups than usual. They wouldn't have been able to make a 2001 type recovery (when they lost Abrosimova and Ralph, yet still stayed in the top 2 and made the Final Four) if they had a similar injury situation to that year.