Thoughts
by irishrudy (2020-07-24 17:15:18)

In reply to: I like the makeup that NI  posted by BB Junky

I think Coquese is a great hire and wasn't surprised by the move but I do think the balance of expertise on this staff is with point guards ( niele and CW) and Mike will now slide over to the wings or maybe Coquese does?

Beth's ability to coach wing and guard play is beyond documented. That will be a loss to the staff no matter how you speak to it. If it's CW or Mike - I would still say Beth is much more advanced in coaching that position and how she developed players as they got older.

Kara added Tia Jackson whose lineage is remarkably strong with ties to Vivian Stringer as a player and coach, and then a head coach herself. She is known in the circles as a strong recruiter.

Gandy is more of the wildcard because he comes from nba development background but also was part of what Frese and Langley did at Maryland and Langley thought enough of him to bring him to Rice.

They also kept Keturah Jackson as a special assistant so I do think it's a very good staff. I don't believe Kara is as dynamic as Niele but there is a presence about Kara that mom and dad's will like as well.

All I can say to the second part about closed doors. You're right I wasn't there but Notre Dame didn't say anything about the incredible work Beth offered to Notre Dame the last 8-9 years and being a ring of honor member on top of that- it's disappointing. And while I wasn't behind the closed doors, I do trust the people in one of the camps and what transpired.

I think it is also very cool that Brad Stevens has a really good relationship with MM and he has a good influence on Kara. Do I also think Jack put in great words for Beth to Duke. Absolutely.