Thanks for all responses. I can truly say each was helpful.
by BabaGhanouj (2020-07-29 22:33:05)

In reply to: Seeking advice (and a little game)  posted by BabaGhanouj

It turns out F_A saw what I could not. As soon as I got rid of the Sports Madness and the (old) CBGR numbers, most of the outliers disappeared.

I test the average of the four services to find if the sum of the differences of each of the numbers from the mean is greater than 20. There's a "AVDEV" function for that. If it is greater than 20, I use the GEOMETRIC MEAN. If not, I use the MEAN.

I may change this in the future, but for now
Pros
• It is fairly easy to implement
• It seems to be more fair
• No data is thrown away
• It is consistent without any judgement on my part
Cons
• No judgement on my part, purely mathematical
• Assumes each service is equally competent and honest

I mark the averages that have outliers, i.e. the ones which use the GEOMETRIC MEAN, so I can study if some services are consistently better than others. (I intend to test this in other ways also.) Perhaps i will find it better to eliminate high or low scores in the future depending own how the players with "outlier" averages perform.

P.S. It improves the "averages" of Mikayla Vaughn, Abby Prohaska, Alasia Hayes, and Amirah Abdur-Rahim.

P.P.S. I believe the large number of outliers among the ND recruits is accidental. I harbor no conspiracy theories, but will be looking at the performance of those recruits to see if Muffet can pick them better than (some) rating services.