Lauren Betts Top 9
by JBC_MO (2020-07-31 11:48:11)
Edited on 2020-07-31 11:55:48

Lauren Betts (#1 in ESPN’s Hoopgurlz 2022) has released her top 9 (per her Instagram page). Here they are:
-Arizona State
-Baylor
-UConn
-Louisville
-Notre Dame
-Oregon
-South Carolina
-Stanford
-UCLA

FWIW, Here's Here Tweet. ND Right in the Middle...
by dillon77  (2020-08-01 07:26:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of it...(right next to UConn and Louisville, of course).

Round Up the Usual Suspects....
by dillon77  (2020-07-31 13:15:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Looks like Arizona State and/or UCLA might've nudged out Oregon State (which is interesting because OSU is good with very bigs). Outside of that, no real surprises.

Hope Coach O continues to keep the contact open and constant.

Go Irish!

4 Pac 12, 2 ACC, 1 each B12/SEC/BEast, No Big 10/Duke.
by Domerduck  (2020-07-31 14:58:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Agree most of these 9 are the usual subjects, but it also reinforces the fact the PAC12 is becoming the dominant conference in WCBB while the Big 10 is irrelavent (with the possible exception of ACC castoff Maryland) and that the SEC, Big 12, and the Big East (now that they have UConn) are 1 team conferences. If Duke can become strong again with Lawson and the other occasional ACC schools make runs (Cuse, NC State, UNC, Miami, FSU, etc) they can start matching the PAC12. This is the one place the PAC12 network helps since every WCBB is on TV with their regional channels. I'm sure Betts being from a PAC12 state, Colorado, helps even if that's not one of her schools.

As for Oregon vs Oregon State, they really go after different players since Graves is all about offense and Rueck is more about D. I notice the girls who pick one usually don't pick the other. The contrast in the two schools are very different both in how they play and what type of kid goes there: Oregon business/media schools, more flash, and draws city kids, OSU ag/eng school, familyorienation, and draws country kids. Betts is from a town close to Denver so the Ducks seem the logical choice.

I disagree about the B1G
by GriffinGold16  (2020-07-31 17:48:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Michigan, Iowa, Indiana are all pretty relevant at the moment and Minnesota is trying its best to knock at the door. Northwestern has also put together a few good seasons in recent memory. MSU and Ohio State have falled off some, but there are still good B1G teams.

Get the Pac 12 Raves, But Also Agree the B1G Isn't Blah
by dillon77  (2020-07-31 20:33:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Had to make that headline fit (I know blah isn't the normal sports headline word).

Would very much agree with you on the Wolverines, Hawkeyes and Hoosiers.
Last time I checked, Oregon, Oregon State and ND had a vaunted prospect say no to stay in B1G territory (Clark, Caitlin Clark).

And while I still think the jury is out on Lindsay Whelan and Minnesota, Ohio State managed to put together a 20+ win last year. And Rutgers, with an influx of good recruiters, had a fine season last year.

The Big 10 has not done well in the NCAA tourney. Lot's of
by Domerduck  (2020-07-31 22:53:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the Big 10 teams might make the tourney and have good records beating up conference foes, but very few even get to the Sweet 16. Only Maryland made it to the Final 4 in 2015, their first year after they moved from the ACC to the Big 10. Prior to that the last Big 10 Final 4 team was MSU in 2005. The last NCAA tourney (2019) the Big 10 had the worst winning record of any of the major conferences going 7-6 while the SEC was 9-7, Big East/UConn 5-3, ACC 14-8, Big 12 7-3, and PAC12 14-6. Only 2 Seed Iowa even made it to the sweet 16 while 3 Seed Maryland was upset by 6 Seed UCLA. That was similar to the previous 2 times as Big 10 champs they had a top Seed and got upset by a PAC12 team: 2017 when 10 Seed Oregon upset 3 Seed Maryland and 2016 when 7 Seed Washington upset 2 Seed Maryland. In my mind the Big 10 continues to be overated and underperforming.

The truth is all 9 of Bett's teams were in the sweet 16 the last tourney including all 4 who made it to the final 4. In fact her 9 teams have accounted for 75% (24/32) of the Final 4 participants the last 8 tourneys. The other 8 participants were Mississippi State twice, Maryland twice (once while still in the ACC), Cuse while in the ACC, and 3 other PAC12 schools (Cal, UW, & OSU). I'd say being a top recruit and staying away from the Big 10 is a wise move. Maybe staying home like Caitlin Clark may make sense. Megan Gustafson went from Wisconsin to Iowa but she ultimately didn't play for the big prize over her 4 years. We will see if that changes down the road, but you have to wonder with so many Big 10 FOY transfer from their Big 10 school out of the conference.

I feel that Final Four point to be disingenuous
by GriffinGold16  (2020-07-31 23:59:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Saying "her top 9 include 75% of final four participants in the last eight years" is basically meaningless. UConn, Notre Dame, and Stanford account for 53% of them already. How many final fours have UCLA and ASU been to since 2012? None.

Using success in the tournament is fine, but the state of the league recently is such that there's a few elite teams and then a drop-off. It's called March Madness for a reason - with the exception of those elite teams, it just takes one bad game or an exceptional one for a better team to be upset by a worse team. (Heck, even Baylor and Notre Dame have fallen to worse teams in the mid-decade.) Sure, B1G teams haven't fared well in the past few seasons, but that's just one piece of the puzzle.

You're correct on ASU/UCLA, but only Maryland has made a
by Domerduck  (2020-08-01 00:07:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Final 4 from the Big 10 the last 15 years and as I said that was 1 year after they made the Final 4 the year before in the ACC. Still I believe both ASU/UCLA have made multiple Sweet 16s in those last 8 years as have several other PAC12 schools (Stanford, Oregon, & Oregon State). Other than Maryland, not sure there are any Big 10 schools that made multiple Sweet 16s since 2012.

My main point was UConn, Baylor, & South Carolina are good choices for a recruit as they currently dominate their conferences. Then choosing multiple options from the PAC12 & ACC make sense given they both have had multiple teams make the Final 4 in the last 8 years with the PAC12 having 5 different teams and the ACC having 4 different teams. Maryland is the lone Big 10 team to make it and as I said they have clearly underperformed in the NCAA tourney while in the Big 10. It's not surprising Betts (the top recruit in the nation) didn't have a Big 10 team on her list.

Better have a Plan B and C. That is a heavyweight list *
by RISteve  (2020-07-31 14:30:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Usual suspects indeed; her list includes Kiki Iriafen's
by MPG  (2020-07-31 14:04:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

four finalists. It will be a major challenge to beat the PAC 12 schools for Kiki or Lauren, especially in this era of no campus visits.

I have always thought that she will end up playing in CA
by Hanratty5ND  (2020-07-31 16:04:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Both her parents played at Long beach State(Basketball,Volleyball) and a lot of Colorado players seem to have migrated to Stanford as of late.
I would guess Stanford for Betts, and if not them, then one of the LA schools.

ND really hasn't recruited all that well West of the Mississippi.
Turner from Texas was the exception. Jessica Shepard(NE) too if you want to stretch it and count a transfer.

Would Hope To See A Change There...
by dillon77  (2020-07-31 20:25:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...particularly in regards to the Class of '22 forwards/posts.
Betts and Gardiner are both from quasi Pac-12 territory (Utah, Colo, respectively). Very well aware that ND has an I-80 intersects with I-95 beat, but need to follow the players. Let's see how Niele and crew do.