Stewie, Jewell and Bird Lead the Storm...
by dillon77 (2020-10-03 07:59:28)

In reply to: WNBA Finals is basically ND v. UConn, with UConn on the  posted by 1NDGal

- Stewie: 37 points, 15 rebounds
- Jewell: 28 points (11-17 shooting)
- Bird: 16 assists (!), 5 rebounds

Storm won the "even" quarters big: 2nd (34-19) and 4th (24-13). Aces played really well in the third (27-12), but the big three got hot again -- particularly Stewie -- and that was that.

The injury to Las Vegas' Dearica Hamby -- sixth woman of the year -- changes everything. In the regular season when the Aces won both games against the Storm, her length and speed could shadow Stewie. Swords can't stay with her and Wilson can't afford to get in the inevitable foul trouble that Stewie would force her into.

When Vegas went small with Jackie Young in for Swords, Lobo remarked it was the first time Laimbeer had gone with that lineup all year. As physical and athletic as Jackie is, Stewie has too much length and simply needs to post Jackie and shoot that turnaround.

Possible solutions for Aces:
- Get in a shooting match and hope Seattle gets cold. If the Aces could get some confidence (Jackie, K-Mac), it could help.
- Pester Bird (with Danielle Robinson), but I'm not sure this would work. Jordin Canada could come in and she's even faster than D-Rob.
- Take a page out of Muffet's book: go zone. Force Seattle outside.
(Doubt Laimbeer will go for this.)

Losing Hamby Game Changer
by Luke  (2020-10-03 08:16:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Also you see the reason Geno won 4 straight Naty's and hasn't won one since "Stewie".

Agree With You 100% on Stewie
by dillon77  (2020-10-03 08:44:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She is the "generational" player that just makes teams and fellow players that much better. And if they're not going to be any given day, she'll do it for them.

Those long, long arms make her like a center, but she is technically skilled enough to play wing (and she does). Virtually an impossible matchup, so when you lose a player like Hamby (who could at least offer resistance), it's really hard.

ND had some very, very good teams during the years Breanna S. was in school. But Geno had Stewie.

BTW, the only other player in the WNBA that has some of Stewies traits is Della Donne, but she tends to get injured/ill (Lyme disease) from time to time. Napheesa Collier is also a person with long arms and skills to play in and out, but she's 6'1" as opposed to Stewie's 6'4".
Saves other teams.

Speaking of tall players who can beat you in many ways, I'll be very intrigued to see how Jess Shepard returns in 2021. And she plays with Collier.

Thank You
by Luke  (2020-10-03 09:43:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As usual your analysis is spot on. Also can't wait to see Shepard next year with the Lynx. I think their coach is the best in the league.

Odd that I never heard a word about her in Mpls
by PWK2  (2020-10-03 12:29:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

this season. I don't even know where she is.

She Was Placed on the Lynix "Suspended List" in Late May...
by dillon77  (2020-10-03 16:19:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I found this in the Lynx archives:

May 26,2020

"MINNEAPOLIS/ST. PAUL – Minnesota Lynx Head Coach and General Manager Cheryl Reeve today announced the team has set their roster ahead of the 2020 season by placing forward Jessica Shepard on the team’s full season suspended list."

That's it, from the Lynx. However, you've got to think that Jess is not quite back from the ACL injury she suffered in June (I believe) of 2019.

In fact, the Twin Cities Pioneer Press confirms that in an article:

"Shepard tore the anterior cruciate ligament in her right knee early last season, an injury she continues to rehab. The 2019 second-round pick was impacted by the inability to rehab at the team’s facility for the past two months because of coronavirus concerns."

Hopefully, Jess has found a place to rehab in Minnesotra or Nebraska and is making good progress.

I knew that, but no medical updates, nothing. Radio silence. *
by PWK2  (2020-10-04 17:58:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What's To Say?
by dillon77  (2020-10-04 18:07:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Who even knows when the Lynx offices and gym even opened up (remember, everyone was down in Florida)? And she's rehabbing.

Heck, I didn't eveh hear that much about Stewie throughout most of her rehab. As much as we like Shep, she's only played -- what -- six or so games before she went out with the ACL.