Our first opponent, Ohio University, beat Liberty 76-72
by BabaGhanouj (2020-11-25 16:07:36)
Edited on 2020-11-25 16:16:31

Erica Johnson had 31 points to go along with 8 rebounds. Cece Hooks had 18 points.

Ohio got off to a very slow start. They pulled even and away in the third quarter.

I went to the Buffalo/Ohio game leap day and Johnson/Hooks
by Domerduck  (2020-11-26 12:38:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

both started/played most of the game. The Bobcats lost 63-62 because they didn't have any height to compete with Buffalo who had 6'2" athletic forward (Adeyeyo). They stayed in the game by getting her in foul trouble as their guard/wing play was aggressive. ND's height should be a big advantage as they don't even play their only player over 5'11', who is a project. I also remember in the game Feb 29, that one of their best players was senior guard Amani Burke, who's older brother is NBA player Trey Burke, who was National POY/Consensus AA at Michigan. They will miss her.

I was hoping my daughter & grandsons who live in Athens could go, but no fans. When I went in February it seemed like a nice arena. I can't imagine ND having any problems with them.

Thanks for that
by BabaGhanouj  (2020-11-27 08:52:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So it sounds like, despite losing 5 players, if Maddy stays on the floor, we have a good chance. Let's hope Coach Ivey's grit and swagger doesn't turn into foolishness and fouls.

True To Form, Johnson & Hooks Led Ohio...
by dillon77  (2020-11-25 18:08:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They're the two pre-season All-MAC performers. I mentioned in a post below, but Erica Johnson is an off guard, while Cece Hooks is a point guard, who is also a defensive whiz.

Shut those two down or minimize their effect and that will help.
Therefore:

Anaya and Abby, meet Ms. Johnson.
Dara and Alasia, meet Ms. Hooks.

With an eye to next year, Erica Johnson also wears black-rimmed glasses, so the Irish can get used to what Olivia Miles will look like a bit.

Yes, that looks to be the key.
by BabaGhanouj  (2020-11-25 19:50:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Even with our full line-up, we have no one who put up numbers like Johnson and Hooks did last year. Johnson averaged about 19 per game and Hooks 18. Their Efficiency ratings last year of 20.5 and 17.6 are far better than any ND player. Of course we played a more difficult schedule.

If you compare recruited talent, we should blow them out of their own gym. They have no one rated in HoopGurlz top 150. However, this is the college game, not how well you drew ratings in high school. We are favored, but not by a lot. It should be a good test and may come down to that grit, determination, passion, and swagger that Coach Ivey has been trying to instill.

As dillon says, we have to try to stop Johnson and Hooks. In the last few years, we have rarely been able to slow down star players. The game will be very revealing.

This sounds promising.
by JBC_MO  (2020-11-25 16:39:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

With the news late this morning, I was a little nervous/scared I’m not going to lie. I just hope our girls play with tenacity and grit.

And, not get into foul trouble. NM
by Tim Kelley  (2020-11-25 21:09:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

NM