Danielle Cosgrove Enters Portal
by dillon77 (2021-04-15 14:24:30)
Edited on 2021-04-15 14:39:18

Don't know how much of this related to the basketball situation, her mental health issues (Dani's words) or a combination thereof, but this isn't particuarly surprising.

Danielle was a stretch 4 who never really found her niche, even in the offense that was supposed to feature long-bombing centers. Once Niele mixed it upm that seemed to muck things up even more, for all concerned.

Hope she's able to find a school that makes her happy and a team that allows her to get on the floor and play a bit. Maybe she'll stay local on the Island: her dad played at Hofstra. Maybe join Dani P. at St. John's? Head up Nichol's Road to Stony Brook?

As for ND & Niele, the roster is now at 10, which is now officially right and tight (two sides in a scrimmage, that's it). Taking injuries and/or illness into account, is it time to look at the portal for another in-lane player?
Aaliya Patty (Ohio State)? Camryn Taylor (Marquette). Both are 6'2" power forwards who rebound a lot (like Dodson). Patty can shoot the outside shot a bit.

You could just have a three-forwward rotation of Dodson, Marshall and Westbeld, but that limits Maddy's game and you're one injury away from 2020 redux.

MPG's April showers continue...

(link courtesy of Raoul)

Best of luck to Danielle! We'll be rooting for you! *
by goirish01  (2021-04-16 09:11:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Absolutely! *
by Dennis  (2021-04-16 13:20:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This year seems like more transfers nationally than ever
by Raoul  (2021-04-15 20:23:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My head is spinning with all the changes everywhere.

Transfers
by Yumamss  (2021-04-15 21:46:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If the purpose of these transfers is to better position them for the WNBA draft these players better start looking into reality. Just read an article that said only 10-12 players will earn a roster spot from this years draft because of all the players already under contract. This per an ESPN article.

Exactly
by ram  (2021-04-16 16:05:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If they don’t add more teams the competition for jobs in USA will just increase

And, per Kayla McBride, living in foreign countries can be very lonely.

One reason I became a fan of WBB was most of the players, even if they eventually turned pro, seemed focused on their academics as their keys to a kingdom.

I think this makes 6 players gone from last year's team,
by ND74KJS  (2021-04-15 16:44:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Which is what I suspected. Not surprised, but I'm still baffled that Campbell was never given a chance.

Remember when we were talking numbers -how we could have 16?
by NDoggie78  (2021-04-16 08:23:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Because everyone "could" come back (Covid year) and we were adding Sonia?
And there was talk of transfers in and would we have room?
And there was talk of adding another recruit in the '21-'22 class?

Kinda funny now

Not surprised she’s leaving and was really
by nd67  (2021-04-15 15:41:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

surprised when she returned except maybe for an ND degree,
which at this point would be a good option, imo.

Best of luck to her *
by RISteve  (2021-04-15 15:25:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We as a board should only wish her the best
by Wbbfan17  (2021-04-15 15:07:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Even though it is more normalized, taking time off due to mental health must be so hard for a college student. Toppled with the fact that it’s public i can only imagine what she went through. Hoping she finds a great fit academically, athletically, and mentally for her!

I am disappointed that Danielle will leave without an ND
by MPG  (2021-04-15 14:57:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

degree after all that she has gone through. I agree that Hofstra or Stony Brook would be good choices for her because they are close to home.

This guarantees that ND will be making a transfer portal move or maybe a trip to the Baltic states or the Balkans, or anywhere that another forward can be found...

April showers indeed!

Surprising on one level (maybe)
by NDLAW88  (2021-04-15 14:29:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

After leaving for her self-described mental health reasons and making such an effort to return, and seemingly being greeted with open arms, I'm surprised that she's subjecting herself to more turmoil.

Why is it turmoil?
by NDMike2001  (2021-04-15 14:44:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It seems like the right decision. Coming back for her senior season she's looking at competing with Nat, Brunelle, Maddy and Maya to get on the floor. I'm proud for her that she did fight to come back. She clearly wants to give it a shot to play somewhere. More power to her. I can't blame her for looking somewhere that doesn't have a Sam and Maddy playing her position. It's too bad for her that she probably won't be getting a degree from ND.

Yup...the Degree Was Something I Thought Of, as well...
by dillon77  (2021-04-15 14:55:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When she did interviews after signing her LOA, she mentioned that ND was her dream school (and not just for sports). She's got to be so very close to getting that if she's been loading up on summer school classes.

As for the discussion with NDLaw88, I think he raises a valid point of view. However, she also seemed to be very tight with her family and (LI) friends. Maybe she wants to return to that support group?

And while she's at it, she can get an extra year in of playng ball at an institution where she can get some PT. As you noted, it won't happen with Maddy and Sam around.

I certainly wish her all the best.
by NDMike2001  (2021-04-15 15:10:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I can imagine that the degree was one thing that really weighed heavily on the decision.

Ditto *
by NDLAW88  (2021-04-15 15:11:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Uprooting everything after 3 years?
by NDLAW88  (2021-04-15 14:54:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Academics. Friendships. Comfort level of being a senior. On top of a pandemic and her mental health issues? Not turmoil from a basketball perspective, sure, but it seems a pretty significant change in a young woman's life who presumably is looking for more, not less, stability. I wish her the best, however things play out for her. Just surprised at this point that she's leaving.

I guess I look(ed) at it the other way.
by NDMike2001  (2021-04-15 15:07:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes, for a lot of students ND starts to feel more like home. But she left last fall to go to her actual home. She seemed to find peace there - including her passion for basketball. Returning to ND means playing for the coach that she did not commit to and competing against two higher ranked recruits at her position that signed after her.

I would expect her to find a good playing situation closer to home. And/or maybe for a team with familiar teammates.

Now if she goes someplace far from home I'd be very surprised.

Does seem odd but in these times who knows anymore.
by maverick  (2021-04-15 14:43:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

11 or 12 would seem like an ideal roster to guard against injuries of which we seem to be plagued by the last few years & the portal. Anyone else have an opinion of roster size?

Twelve would be my ideal roster size, including a couple
by MPG  (2021-04-15 14:51:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of players who are there to be developed and provide the depth needed to handle the inevitable injuries. ND's problem right now is that players are abandoning ship too readily.

I think we are not the only team faced with this problem
by maverick  (2021-04-15 17:59:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Teams that seemingly had a bright future are going to have to scramble now. Getting out of hand