Thoughts on Pitt Game
by JBC_MO (2022-01-23 16:20:43)

First off—Grandpa says, “I’m glad we won that one!” “We needed that win!” My grandpa points out that we make some (his exact words) “stupid” turnovers. He thinks we need to stop forcing to’s to the high post/block area and trust the offense. He said he was so “FN’ GLAD” about our FT shooting today. He said if we shoot like that, we win games. “Simple as that”.

Going into this week—We have some winnable games at home: Syracuse (who we beat by 20+ today 11/14/21) and we can get payback on BC at home a week from today. We have 4 home games in a row. Then the two after next week, we got NC State and VT. If we want a top 4 seed in the NCAA tournament (for home court advantage), then we need these 4 W’s on our home floor.

Things I liked:
-Sam was more aggressive today than I have seen in some time. Glad to see her play with more freedom (she was open for several 3’s).
-Maya played one of her best games all season IMO. She is playing at a high level (playing like her HS ranking-11).
-Sonia is a go getter. She is tough as nails. Goes after the ball on/if not every play.

Things I thought were questionable:
-The only thing I thought was questionable was Maddy (at times). It is clear she is going through some funk. However, this was the best game she’s had in the last 3-4 games. I know she’ll get out of this and get back to where she was at the start of the season—Christmas.

Overall—Thank God we won today, and may we get 2 home wins next week! ☘️☘️☘️

Building on yours
by NDLAW88  (2022-01-23 16:40:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nice to see Dara didn't force things after her good run of late. Let the game come to her. Forced some passes, though.

Sonia had a weird game. Great effort but couldn't dribble for stretches at a time. Missed layups but swished a 3. The one person who missed a FT (of all people!).

Follow the light, Maddy, follow the light. Keep coming back to us. She took steps today to come back. Hopefully that sweet left handed layup is a good ego boost as was her nice dish to Sonia for that layup. Maddy's shot really stemmed the tide for Pitt.

Maya was a beast. She was OM's equal today as far as being noticeable on and off the court. When she was out, our rebounding was a mess. Sam and Maddie need to step up there.

Hello, Abby. Good to see ya.

Some additional thoughts:
by MountainMan  (2022-01-23 17:06:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maya was unstoppable in the first quarter with 13 pts. Without that between the turnovers and Pitt hitting threes at a high rate we would have been in a deep hole. Sonia brought it in the 4th quarter after being incognito the first three quarters, hit a couple of big shots. Remember she got smashed again while she was on the floor, seems like every game. (Are you allowed to wear a helmet?) Agreed good to see Abby even if it was for only two minutes. ND made 19 of 20 fouls shots and yes Sonia a 91% foul shooter went 3/4 and was the only one to miss. Maya was 5/5. Sam has played well for the last three or four games and continued that on limited minutes. Not crazy about Olivia taking contested threes. Today was I believe to be the first game all season that Dara didn't play the most minutes. Marshall & Gilbert who knows. A necessary and therefore good win.

How well did you research the
by nd67  (2022-01-23 21:34:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

statement on Dara’s playing time before stating,
“first game all season that Dara didn’t play the
most minutes”?

And Just A Few More....
by dillon77  (2022-01-23 16:52:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

- Agree that Sonia had that one hard T/O stretch and missed some layups, but hit a nice variety of jumpers at good times: the three, the step back just beyond the elbow and a nifty head fake and sidestep into a 10-foot J.
Plus she was second on team in rebounds.

Wonder if the start in the second half is the "Wally Pip" moment.

- Liked Niele putting in Anaya to play defense. Started as an offense-defense thing, but just AP in the last two minutes. Pitt wasn't fouling, so no need to replace.

- Nicely phrased on Maddy. She made some nice moves today. Keep 'em coming. And please start rebounding.

- Syracuse is another team that starts out fast, presses like nuts and can run out of gas. Got to weather the storm early, break the press and go for layups. They'll be there.

With Syracuse fast starts, another reason to start Sonia -IQ *
by Hickster  (2022-01-23 17:55:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post