Some defensive observations
by IRISHLUV23 (2022-01-24 00:26:36)

After Pitt kind of torched us in the first half by raining 3's,NI had seen enough and must have had flashbacks to the BC game. She had them come out for the second half and they played mostly man to man.

Kind of a mixed bag of results. Do we have the foot speed to be able to play man to man especially when we play against better caliber teams?
Pitt was playing a 2 high set which meant that the defender on the ball had to fight through 2 picks to stay with her man and we had trouble and kept getting caught up on the picks. There were some occasions where we seemed to lose our man and ended up chasing and running out late to contest open jump shots. This happened to most of our perimeter defenders but Dara seemed to be the one that it occurred most.

My real concern is, if we're giving up wide open 3's from the corner by playing the zone and still giving up open shots once we go to man to man, will this team be able to hold up against really good teams? As much as we all (including me) talk about our offense and who should be starting and such, our season is going to ride on our defense. After the last 2 games, this really concerns me and may end up being our downfall.

Replies: