Can someone help me understand what is going on with the
by Slotts (2022-01-24 11:18:08)
Edited on 2022-01-24 11:19:18

NC State and Virginia games?

When was NC State originally scheduled for?

Does Virginia have CoVid issues again? They just played yesterday. This has a bad smell to it.

Truly At a Loss, As Well, But I Catch Your Drift...
by dillon77  (2022-01-24 11:39:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've attached the UVA schedule. They have a Thursday-Sunday schedule pretty much until the end of the season. Both ND and UVA would've had a Sunday-Tuesday-Thursday schedule to fit the game in, but -- hey -- that's what's gotta happen at some point because UVA is packed.

I have no idea why rescheduling a game with NC State later in the schedule would necessitate a postponement of a prior game.

UVA is not a good team or a good program at this point and, yes, looking at this from a record standpoint, it would be a good opportunity to pick up a road "W," certainly more than a back and back with NC State. Until that UVA game is rescheduled, color me a tad concerned: Let's get all our games in.

One other point, if the ACC valued the NC State vs. ND ...
by Slotts  (2022-01-25 16:44:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

matchup so much that they would bump UVA right out of a previously scheduled game, why would they then put it on AACNX, so the fewest amount of people possible could view it?

NCSt at home is an opportunity
by nd67  (2022-01-24 12:01:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to see how good ND is, right.
A victory vs Va isn’t going to
help significantly, imo. Also,
Va has to makeup a game
with Syracuse.

Exactly, I'm sure ND worked hard to sched. the NC State game
by BabaGhanouj  (2022-01-24 12:43:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The goal is to win the NCAA championship as well as the ACC championship. Certainly, the first priority is to get the NC State game in. That is what the program wants, the coaches want and the fans want to see at home. As nd67 explains, it is a big opportunity.

If we can fit in Virginia, fine, but, obviously we want to play NC State.

We want to play both, to be fair. *
by Slotts  (2022-01-24 15:13:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What smells?
by nd67  (2022-01-24 11:36:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The fact ND will play NCState but
maybe not Va? Wouldn’t the Conference
and ND rather have the former vs the
later matchup if that is the only workable
schedule solution?

That would seem obvious to me...
by Slotts  (2022-01-24 12:00:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

rescheduling NC State should have been done, but not at the expense of the UVA game. The best team in the league to replace the worst team in the league. That's not exactly a fair deal. I'm sure the conference would rather have the former vs the later matchup. However, it could very well affect the conference and NCAA seeding if they don't get the UVA game rescheduled.

Affect Conference yes, but NCAA, probably not in a bad way
by cbiebel  (2022-01-24 19:25:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The NCAA seeding will probably be helped by ND/NC St over ND/UVa. It comes down to this: Which would be better for ND and the conference regarding the NCAAs? Four possibilities (in order of likelihood):

ND/UVA: ND wins. ND beat a team that is currently 3-13 and #135 in RPI. Helps ND a little bit in conference tournament seeding, but probably not significantly.

ND/NC St: NC St wins. Expected outcome based on rankings, so it doesn't hurt ND's appearance to the Committee. Plus, these types of losses tend to help RPI (strangely enough) and boost ND's SOS.

ND/NC St: ND wins. Actually the likely best situation for the ACC (boosts ND in appearance, probably wouldn't hurt NC St. too much).

ND/UVa: UVa wins (extremely unlikely, but ND does have some problems on the road sometimes). Awful situation, ND losing to a RPI #135 team.

So you have a choice between a game with a great potential upside for ND/ACC and minimal NCAA effect vs a game with a minimal upside and potential huge downside.

Totally Agree on NCAA, But It's the Conference ....
by dillon77  (2022-01-24 20:03:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm concentrating on. The games you play there have an effect, too, and I'd like to see us get as many "w's" as possible to help seeding. I'm very much hoping the ACC will try to squeeze these games in, too, but I'm kind of in a Missouri mode: Show me.

Don’t you think dillon77’s
by nd67  (2022-01-24 12:20:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

explanation of the specific scheduling
problems with making up games is
helpful showing the complexity.
Also, Va has 2 games to make up,
Syracuse and ND.

It is, but the league caused this problem. They arbitrarily
by Slotts  (2022-01-24 14:08:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

bumped UVA to install NC State. Substituted one problem for another. They didn't solve anything.

Maybe there isn’t a solution that
by nd67  (2022-01-24 15:21:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is perfect for every team. Have you looked at Virginia’s
schedule? They have had at least 4 games postponed
and still have to reschedule Syracuse and ND. When you
have 15 teams and schedules spread out over half the
country, that will result in some issues. The Conference
doesn’t just revolve around ND. What is your solution?
Also, arbitrarily is not the appropriate word,imo.

Got this yesterday from Athletics if this helps at all.
by oit_clay  (2022-01-24 11:33:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

NC STATE AT NOTRE DAME - RESCHEDULED
The Atlantic Coast Conference announced yesterday that the NC State at Notre Dame women's basketball game, originally scheduled for Jan. 16, has been rescheduled for Tuesday, Feb. 1 at 7 p.m. inside Purcell Pavilion.

Tickets previously issued for this game will automatically update on Monday in your mobile wallet to display the new game date and time. If you have a paper ticket for the original game, those will now be valid for the new date and time.

The ACC also announced that the Notre Dame at Virginia game scheduled for Tuesday, Jan. 25 has been postponed and the league will look to reschedule the game.

think it has to do with spacing of games. Once you have to
by DBCSMITH  (2022-01-24 11:31:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

make inserts, it begins to affect timing of other games.

Something to consider
by cbiebel  (2022-01-24 19:12:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Usually teams have a few extra days between every other game (except for conference championships).

With both the UVA and NC St. game, ND would have:

1/23 Pitt
1/24 Off
1/25 UVa
1/26 Off
1/27 Syracuse
1/28 Off
1/29 Off
1/30 BC
1/31 Off
2/1 NC St
2/2 Off
2/3 Va Tech

So basically, ND would be going a week and a half with only one break of more than one day between games (the 28th and 29th). I think they figured that 6 games in 11 days would be a bit of a strain.