She didn't pick on the kid.
by NDMike2001 (2017-10-25 11:14:41)

In reply to: She's right but she picked the wrong target for her anger  posted by wcnitz

She said that she's never heard of her and that she's not a senior player. Her target was FIFA. I think that her criticism was justified.

Was FIFA the correct target?
by NDBass  (2017-10-25 12:03:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm putting a lot of faith in the article, but it doesn't look like FIFA picks the finalists or the winner. If that is correct, her criticism was misplaced. Her "old, white, and stale" line may also be off, but it's a great for a soundbite!

EDIT: I messed up the quote. It was "old, male and stale".

Skimming the individual voting
by ndsdsub  (2017-10-25 14:42:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

by the captains, coaches, and media, this matter looks like more of geography issue than anything else.

I'm not sure there's another target.
by NDMike2001  (2017-10-25 12:20:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

FIFA created the process for the award. I would assume that they also drive whatever recognition some random girl would have received to get her on the list and apparently get some votes.

The OWS line was over the top. But I've never really seen Rapinoe to be particularly articulate - or I suppose diplomatic would be better.

At any rate, I don't think that she's picking on the girl at all.

Perhaps FIFA isn't "white", but it's definitely Old & Stale *
by spade  (2017-10-25 13:49:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Point being, it wasn't FIFA.
by NDBass  (2017-10-25 14:44:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Her beef should be with the people that did the voting.

Also, I had to fix the quote. Switch out "white" for "male".

Except it is.
by NDMike2001  (2017-10-26 11:31:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Again, they created the process for the award. Somehow a girl that hasn't even played a U-20 match was allowed to be nominated. Whatever their weighting system was, it clearly allowed for U-17 coaches or Venezuelan influence to be focused on one relatively unknown player, while other internationals were splitting votes.

What is she supposed to say? Voters are stupid/bias? Fine, but the system should recognize inherent bias and now allow for something like this.

This would be like Freddy Addu being a finalist because American voters didn't have anyone else to vote for.

Yes, now the three points of the quote are spot-on *
by spade  (2017-10-25 16:54:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post