ND's Westendorf trumped Castellanos last week earning
by Domerduck (2017-10-25 14:12:56)

In reply to: Rapinoe rips into FIFA over PoY nominee  posted by Allumeuse

ACC player of the week with two goals over FSU in Florida in a game which Castellanos also scored 2 but ND triumphed.

I agree with Rapinoe there are lots of better women players than this college player. Also Lloyd was hurt too much to be really considered so definitely the process is flawed.

I've watched lots of wpmen's soccer this year both live (several Thorns games) and on TV (US team matches, many Euro cup matches, NWSL, and ND games). Martens is not a bad choice to win but I would have given it to Kerr (as mentioned in the article) who won the NWSL MVP and she also is Australia's best player. Others should ahve been in the final group. As for US team members I'd go for Horan and Mewis being the best players this year also given their performances on the Thorns and Courage, the best two teams in the NWSL. Ernst and Morgan also had fine years for their NWSL club and USA team. As for international players club and country I'd add Taylor from England (mentioned in the article), Nadim from Netherlands (mentioned by a post below), and two who have won it before: Marta from Brazil/Orlando and Henry (France/Thorns). Hopefully they improve the process.

I'm sad the Thorns are losing Nadim and Henry given the NWSL salary cap, but I hope we replace them with soem other great international women who might find it fun to play in front of 16K-20K fans for every home game. I'll take this Marten's, this years FIFA POY. We need to keep beating Rapinoe's Seattle team.