I heart Raheem
by CuzTeahan (2017-11-29 17:07:30)
Edited on 2017-11-29 17:20:48

Raheem Sterling pulls it out for City against Southampton in the 96th minute, his fourth winning goal after 80 minutes this season, and third in a week. He has single handedly captured City 7 points this season (one of the wins was in CL), with another to tie against Everton in the second game of the season. Without those goals City would be one point up on ManU.

With 12 goals in all competitions, he has exceeded his previous season high and has really excelled under Pep this year and has been City's best scorer.

That is all.

Pep is a twat *
by tcfc  (2017-11-30 11:56:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Who would you rather have in your team right now?
by miamioh_irishfan  (2017-11-29 17:41:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sterling or Mo Salah?

Sterling. If for no other reason than he’s English, so he
by tex29  (2017-11-29 22:41:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

counts as homegrown.

Also, I’m not sure Mo would have 13 goals in a side where he’s sharing goals with Aguero, Jesus, and Sané. That said, Mo has been awesome, and he’s a hell of a finisher. So maybe City would score six goals a game with him.

Definitely not a good finisher.
by NDMike2001  (2017-11-30 04:12:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ironically he's a lot like Sterling. But faster. His confidence is sky high right now, so his finishing is better. But his conversion rate is generally not good. However his pace and anticipation is so good that he just finds a lot of chances. Or sometimes just creates them with devastating speed.

Interesting. Every time I watch Liverpool (which,
by tex29  (2017-11-30 08:27:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

admittedly, I’ve seen only a few of their games this season), Mo shows great touch and clinical finishing. I thought his goal against Chelsea, for example, was pure class. Great first touch, no fuss, and he put it away. Granted, it was not a particularly difficult finish, but I’ve seen City players (Sterling in particular) blow similar chances.

But I watch all of Man City’s games, so I see the bad as well as the good. Whereas, I mostly see Mo’s highlights (which obviously show his great finishes without the missed opportunities).

His season has mirrored an accelerated Sterling career.
by NDMike2001  (2017-11-30 15:01:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Early on he was incredibly frustrating and exciting at the same time. Blessed with talent and pace leading to great chances that you get the feeling few players would have even had the opportunity to have that chance. But in the end, the final product was often lacking.

Of late, the finishing has match the talent. 17 goals in a Liverpool shirt already - 21 games. 7 goals in his last 4 EPL matches. 5 in his first 10.

He's bricked some and missed a few sitters
by wcnitz  (2017-11-30 09:31:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He actually seems to score the more difficult shots better than the simple ones.

He and Mane are fun as hell to watch in open play, though.

He's improved.
by NDBass  (2017-11-30 08:57:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

While he's scored a lot of goals, he could easily have 5 more. 10 more if you count difficult shots that you wouldn't expect a world class striker to convert every time.

I didn't save any numbers, but his convert rate was quite low earlier in the season. He did miss finishes like the one against Chelsea.

Salah was groomed by Bob Bradley
by miamioh_irishfan  (2017-11-30 00:06:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So we got that goin’ for us.

Salah has been exceptional
by CuzTeahan  (2017-11-29 18:11:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And like Sterling, he has saved Liverpool's bacon this year, as well as surprising as their best player and most consistent scoring threat, even surpassing Coutinho and Mane.

As a player on any other team I'd take Salah, whose pace is magnificent, but on Man City, Sterling's clutch play with 96th and 97th minute winners have made his value tangible on a team where many would otherwise consider him the 4th scoring option.

As a City fan, I especially enjoy his success when I consider unfair much of the criticism and dislike of him following his departure from Liverpool that trailed him to the England team. He is a hard worker and a very good player, who has polished off much of the shooting yips that held him back before this year. He is excellent on the City system.

City wouldn't need last minute goals with Mo.
by NDMike2001  (2017-11-29 18:16:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you replaced your "4th" scorer with Salah right now, you'd probably score 6 a game. That's probably not an exaggeration.

I'd keep Sterling still
by CuzTeahan  (2017-11-30 09:21:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's got a lot of pace himself, and most of these last minute goals have come with ten behind the ball.