I don't blame MLS for pay to play
by turtle17 (2018-01-09 10:54:44)

In reply to: The post wcnitz linked to below is a good start  posted by Irishlawyer

I don't think MLS can be blamed for inadequate youth development. The comparison of the mens and womens national teams is flawed in my view by vasty different resources most of the rest of the world places in each of those two areas. And as other countries have started to pay a little more attention to the women's game, we haven't been so dominant (e.g. flameout at the 2016 Olympics).

And I think the help the MLS has given other CONCACAF teams by providing a place for their players to play professionally played way more of a role in the US not qualifying than any supposed failure of the DA system. I never quite understood how the DA was supposed to be worse than what preceded it.

None of this argues against a much cleaner separation of the National Teams from MLS, as their interests aren't always aligned. But the idea the DA ruined youth boys development but the girls are just fine because they haven't had DA never made any sense to me.

Replies: