Gotta keep CR7, but otherwise on-board!
by Irish2003 (2018-01-19 05:50:06)

In reply to: Any time they want to throw Morata  posted by KnightlyRevue

This has been an absolutely maddening time for us (saw one of your RM posts earlier; I'm a lifelong fan and actually became an official member at the Bernabeu itself, which was probably my most memorable non-ND sports moment!) - back to back CL's, and 2017 was some of the best soccer I've seen w/r/t a fluid midfield that could move the ball around - but Los Merengues would struggle to score on an average intramural team the way we have been shooting the last few weeks. I hesitate to judge an absolute legend like Zidane after both his playing career & the CL rampage the last few years, but similar to ND football, I think the lack of depth has really hurt even if the starters are outstanding. We got incredibly spoiled having Morata & Ha-mez coming off the bench, and it likely wasn't sustainable to hang on to them forever, but I would have been very happy getting a guy like Auba who can fill in across the front line and McGyver on the wing if needed. Icardi could be another option since he isn't cap tied and CL is all we realistically have left, but I don't see him coming if Zidane is wedded to his fellow Frenchman up top. Looking forward, I am completely on board with moving Benz, bringing in someone like Kane as the newest Galactico, and getting Auba for a 2-4 year cover role. Cris has earned the right to move on if and when he wants, and if he went back to United, I would cheer for him there too.

Replies: