That's a load of crap.
by VT2ND (2018-02-28 12:21:37)

In reply to: If your team plays a game in Canada  posted by HTownND

Flying from Toronto to Mexico City or vice-versa would not be appreciably longer than flying from the US east coast to the west coast. I just flew from Mexico City to New York about a month ago and it was about 4 hours of flight time. Plus you don't have as drastic a time change as you would going from Pacific time to Eastern time, for example. I also traveled around Brazil for the WC 4 years ago and Rio to Manaus was a nearly 4 hour flight. Not totally unheard of.

It’s 5.5 hours
by HTownND  (2018-02-28 20:45:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’ve done it before. And I’ve gone from the east to west coast plenty of times.

The difference between what you just described is that Rio to Manaus is one of the biggest distances possible between Brazil sites. The joint bid would have that extreme be a new standard distance.

I travel for a living and want no part of the travel they are teeing up in that joint bid.

But only a small percentage of the games would be played
by VT2ND  (2018-03-01 09:01:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in Mexico and Canada. It is not as if every team would be regularly traveling the Mexico City to Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver. It's much more likely that teams will be traveling to/from Mexico City from US sites, many of which likely would be in the southern half of the country. In that respect, the Manaus site was worse in 2014 because it was so far out there w/r/t most of the other sites.

As far as 5.5 hours between Mexico City, my flight from Mexico City to JFK was closer to 4 hours than 5 and a half as far as actual flight time was concerned. Not sure how going to Toronto adds another hour/hour and a half but ok.