It's pretty simple
by HTownND (2018-03-06 11:08:39)
Edited on 2018-03-06 11:11:20

In reply to: What the heck is going on with Chelsea?  posted by wiNDycityfan

They drew at home to Barca, they dropped points at Old Trafford, and they lost to the best team in the PL by a country mile.

They also didn't have Kante for the Man City match, so the one guy who can help control the midfield (if you can even do that against City) was gone, so he played way back and that was that.

I do agree that part of the problem is the tumult from the quick trigger on managers, it's created a situation where any downturn and you start talking about firing the coach. It happened the first week this season, after running away with the PL last year. It's kind of ridiculous, but it is what it is. Any Chelsea fan who looked at the last 3 fixtures and thought Chelsea would look dominant, was kidding themselves. That's probably the toughest 3 game stretch anyone has had in the PL all year.

That said, they actually played very well against Barca, decent half against Man U, and held on for dear life against City. It hasn't been as god awful of a stretch, the GD for those 3 matches was -2.

And yes, they dropped points against some terrible sides, earlier in January, but are past that now. Most people expect we'll start piling up points in the next few matches as the schedule gets much easier and the key matches are at home.

I'd put my confidence level at 95% of qualifying for the CL next year. We're done with Man U and City. There are other teams in front of us who have yet to lose the next match to City, so we'll pick points back up then.

But the quick trigger has turned any difficult stretch into a full blown crisis, which is absurd, but the reality of being a Chelsea supporter. You take the good with the bad.

Replies:
  • Or... - NDMike2001  2018-03-06 22:06:31