I am genuinely concerned about missing this WC
by Irish2003 (2018-03-09 14:37:25)

In reply to: Americans only understand winning  posted by plaid_pants

We have certainly had some turmoil between the cockeyed original WC bid (FWIW, Qatar was an objective joke & I wanted Australia), MNT coaching situation, WNT pay issues, stay or go for star players in MLS, but salvaging a WC bid would have kept some lipstick on the pig. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory was about as bad as it could get, and literally not having a coach at the moment can't help. I'll defer to those more knowledgeable, but thought something like Juergen as program director and an Xs & Os guy (maybe whoever the poor man's version of Jogi Low is) for the actual coach would have worked well, as the former could set up a good development scheme and the latter would find a way to win. Even friends who hate soccer were pleasantly surprised when I explained that we collectively don't give a darn about the game but still won, and unfortunately that line doesn't work anymore. Between guys like Pulisic and the huge youth batch, I am a little optimistic, but Corderio and his team really have to get things together soon.