Well that’s laughable
by DakotaDomer (2018-03-09 17:30:43)

In reply to: It's not that different from hockey.  posted by tdiddy07

I enjoy both sports (and obviously one a lot more over the other) but they’re about as similar as underwater basket weaving and competitive baking

To be fair, soccer and hockey are closer to each other
by someguy  (2018-03-12 09:40:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

than they are to football or baseball. I'd argue basketball, as well, since scoring is at more of a premium in the former two.

Maybe soccer could benefit from using hockey rules.
by thethinman  (2018-03-13 23:35:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Instead of the ridiculous yellow and red cards for fouls. They should have a penalty like in hockey where one team has to lose a player for two minutes thereby giving an advantage to one side. Would definitely liven up the game.

Among other reasons this is a stupid idea
by miamioh_irishfan  (2018-03-14 16:30:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The relative advantage gained from playing 11 v 10 for 2 minutes is minuscule compared to 5 v 4 in hockey.

That could be said of any “field” sport
by DakotaDomer  (2018-03-12 16:47:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

“Field sports being those that have a goal, a ball, and a goaltender

But hockey isn’t even close to soccer because there’s 20 “field” sports commonly played while hockey doesn’t even have the field or the ball

I think we’re really talking about the pace of each sport
by miamioh_irishfan  (2018-03-12 15:36:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The pace of soccer more closely resembles the pace of baseball than it does something high octane like hockey or basketball.