Some real bright spots tonight
by wcnitz (2018-03-27 21:42:54)
Edited on 2018-03-27 21:43:25

Glad Paraguay didn't end up injuring anyone with those horrid tackles. Just awful and really poor control by the referee.

Trapp had an outstanding game. Carter-Vickers had some consistency issues passing, but he and Miazga played really well at the back. Adams had an issue here or there with his touch, but his midfield defending and his distribution were very good. Overall, defensively, they looked very solid.

Oddly enough, the player who really impressed me tonight was VillafaƱa. He was great at both ends.

And Bobby Wood is headed nowhere fast.

How is Mix?
by mitquinn  (2018-03-27 23:02:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I kid...

Effort was there, but this team still would lose 2-1 at T&T
by spade  (2018-03-27 22:15:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I would have felt better about the loss because they were certainly trying tonight. The team I saw tonight wasn't on point with too many passes, except for the long one to Adams which was gorgeous. Lots of easy passes were behind the players or too close to the defender and swept away, so the young guys have a lot to learn about who is fast, who is slow and where to place the passes.

That being said, the groundwork is certainly there and certain players Villafana and Miazga were all over the place. I didn't recognize enough names to say who else played well. I thought Wood was decent.

I don't expect cohesion
by wcnitz  (2018-03-28 08:18:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Most of these guys have never played together before (unless they happened to be on one of the youth teams together).

What spoke volumes to me last night was Miazga ready to murder some people after that studs up tackle, along with several of his teammates. Where were Pulisic's teammates when he was getting hacked? Invisible. I think guys like Bradley resented him and it showed. Too entitled - Lalas is an idiot but he was right about that.

Also, regarding T&T...I think this same squad with Pulisic and either Clint or Jozy up top, as much as it pains me to say it, would have at least drawn with them. Trapp is the future CDM of this team, we don't ever need to see Bradley again. He was a rock last night.

By the time I got the game on, it was over but why the
by G.K.Chesterton  (2018-03-27 22:07:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

comment on Wood? Is he too old or is the offense not set up for his skills? Also, when do we get our permanent coach?

His form has been poor for almost a year
by wcnitz  (2018-03-28 08:16:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's barely playing in Hamburg now and it really showed last night. His touch was poor, his timing on runs was off (every time he got in behind, he was offside) and I don't think he managed an actual shot on target.