Be authentic
by fontoknow (2018-04-10 11:45:50)

In reply to: What's wrong with FC's? Or Sporting KC?  posted by spade

Sporting KC is clearly a lift from Sporting Lisbon.

Real Salt Lake City is just stupid.

But I think Houston Dynamo is awful. Yes, let's play homage to state sponsored clubs from the Soviet Union and their satellite states.

I would assume you hate the Utah Jazz then? *
by spade  (2018-04-11 07:39:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

hate is a strong word
by fontoknow  (2018-04-11 11:17:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it's not strong enough for how I feel about the Utah Jazz.

Fair enough, haha *
by spade  (2018-04-12 10:18:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

On the Dynamo
by HTownND  (2018-04-10 15:11:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That name was chosen for a few reasons

But it has an interesting story after moving from San Jose, including Oliver Luck and changing the first name after pissing off the local Latino community.

The association with the Moscow and East Berlin teams wasn't the main reason.

At least it wasn't Red Army Houston
by fontoknow  (2018-04-10 15:59:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"In a communist dictatorship, sports franchises obviously aren’t for-profit businesses the way they are under capitalism. Instead, the major soccer teams in Eastern Bloc countries were founded as club teams for various state-run entities. You’ll see repeated names throughout former Warsaw Pact countries: CSKA for the army, Lokomotiv for the transportation ministry, and Dynamo for the secret police."

I'm aware of the Stassi ties
by HTownND  (2018-04-10 17:34:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I just think it wasn't why Houston chose the name.

But they have a history of making mistakes and realizing after the fact.

1836 and Dynamo.

They weren't trying to honor the USSR teams, it was a nice little tie in, and then people pointed it out what it actually meant.

Again, MLS being cute, and not realizing what they were actually doing. The meaning of the word is why they chose it, not because European teams used it. That second point just helped seal the deal.